'Jabbed - Love, Fear and Vaccines" with Q&A
- 13 August 2017 at 2:00 pm
- Auditorium, Peter Doherty Institute 792 Elizabeth St Melbourne, Victoria 3000
- Open to:
- Interested Alumni from Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences
- Register here:
- Alumni; Pharmacy, Pharmaceutical Science
This event is presented by the ARC Centre of Excellence in Convergent Bio-Nano Science and Technology together with the Peter Doherty Institute for Infection and Immunity and is being held as part of National Science Week 2017.
A free screening of the award-winning Australian documentary 'Jabbed - Love, Fear and Vaccines' followed by a discussion panel with experts in the fields of immunology and public health including Prof Peter Doherty and Dr Angus Johnston from Monash Institute of Pharmaceutical Sciences (MIPS).
There is a growing trend of vaccine hesitancy worldwide. This film and our panel will explore the reasons behind this phenomenon, the consequences, and what can be done to improve public trust in vaccination.
The panel will comprise:
- Laureate Professor Peter Doherty is the Patron and namesake of the Doherty Institute and has been involved in research on infection and immunology for 50 years. Co-recipient of the Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine in 1996 for his research in immunology.
- Dr Jenny Royle is an Immunisation Paediatrician with 15 years experience working at the Immunisation Service at the Royal Children's Hospital in Melbourne.
Associate Professor Justin Denholm is an Ethicist, Medical Director, Victorian Tuberculosis Program and Principal Research Fellow, the University of Melbourne at the Peter Doherty Institute.
- Dr Angus Johnston is a senior lecturer at the Monash Institute of Pharmaceutical Sciences (MIPS) and works on better ways to deliver drugs and vaccines
- Ms Jessica Kaufman is a Research Officer and PhD Candidate at La Trobe University. Her thesis project involved evaluating communication around childhood vaccination.
- Lars Esser
- +61 (0)3 990 39262
- ARC Centre of Excellence in Convergent Bio-Nano Science & Technology (CBNS)