Become an adviser
College advisers are trained volunteers who shape the college experience by providing friendship, support and mentoring to their peers.
Want to get involved? Read more about the role and apply online.
Applications open: 23 September 2019
Applications close: 31 October 2019
Rolling interviews: October/November 2019
About the role
Advisers are highly valued members of our support teams, reporting directly to the college coordinator.
The role is for 12 months, running from January to December. During this time, advisers volunteer for approximately 10 hours a fortnight. Responsibilities include:
- providing mentoring and support for up to 15 college members
- assisting with and attending college events
- participating in training and development opportunities
- liaising with the college support team.
As an adviser, you’ll develop new skills, enhance your resume, and expand your personal and professional networks. In particular, you can expect to:
- gain sought-after skills and experience in leadership and cross-cultural communication
- undertake professional development, including mental first-aid training
- network with senior academic staff affiliated with the college
- be awarded a formal certificate recognising your contribution and skills.
To be eligible, you must:
- have completed at least 24 credit points of a Monash degree, with a grade point average (GPA) of two (credit average) or higher
- currently be enrolled at a campus with a non-residential college (Caulfield, Clayton, Parkville or Peninsula)
- be able to commit for a full year, from January to December (students graduating mid-year are not eligible to apply)
- be able to attend a minimum of six college events (day and evening) each semester
- be available on the scheduled training dates and during February enrolment and orientation periods.
Skills and experience
Applicants will demonstrate:
- excellent interpersonal skills, with the ability to engage with people from a range of backgrounds
- a desire to participate, make new friends and have fun
- effective time management skills (able to balance study and additional commitments)
- initiative and teamwork
- a broad understanding of student issues
- previous volunteering experience (this is preferred, but not essential).
Our ideal applicant is:
- friendly and welcoming
Compulsory training dates
|6–29 Nov 2019||Training for new advisers|
|17–21 Feb 2020||Training for new and returning advisers|
|28 Feb – 1 Mar 2020||Residential training camp|
Watch this video to find out more about becoming a college adviser at Monash.