Classnotes - 1950s
David Black (PhC 1957) graduated as a chiropractor 20 years ago and continues full time work in this area. He also is proud to be a registered pharmacist. October 2008
John Bohn (PhC 1958) has practised in the field of hypnotherapy and psychotherapy for over a decade now. John finds both areas very rewarding. October 2008
For Heinz (Henry) Grossbard (PhC1958), community pharmacy and helping people has been a lifelong passion that continues today. Graduating from the Victorian College of Pharmacy on Swanston Street, he worked as a locum before purchasing his first pharmacy in St Kilda, and then the landmark pharmacy of D.C.Tait in Swanston Street. He also worked in various Melbourne hospitals, but the attraction of community pharmacy was too strong and he subsequently opened two new pharmacies in Doncaster and Boronia. Henry also developed a very strong interest in complementary medicine, which led him to qualify as a naturopath, study acupuncture and run a naturopathic clinic along with his busy pharmacies. Henry had a very early realisation on the importance of pharmacies offering “front-of-shop” professional services, and proved this when he bought a struggling pharmacy in a suburban shopping centre. Assisted by his pharmacy technician wife and hiring a full-time pharmacist, he turned the business around, increasing prescription volume from 60-70 prescriptions daily to 300-400 daily. He credits this to the face-to-face service he was able to provide to his clients. A firm believer in the wider role of community pharmacy in providing health care, he completed a postgraduate qualification as a diabetes educator at Deakin University. Today, Henry is still a registered pharmacist working as a diabetes educator at various medical clinics, and conducts medication reviews for his clients both at home and at the clinics. September 2016
Franz Fisher (PhC 1957) Franz owns and runs a community pharmacy in Tel Aviv. He will be travelling to Australia in July and August, and has fond memories of his time at the college. October 2008
Since the 1960s, Brian Grogan (PhC 1960) and Maureen Grogan (PhC 1959) have owned several community pharmacies in the Geelong area. Brian was the Geelong delegate to the Pharmacy Guild of Australia (Victorian branch) in the 1970s and became a fellow of the Australia College of Pharmacy practice in 1993. He joined the PSA immediately after graduating and has been a member ever since, holding positions at state and national level including roles on the National Council since 1999 and, up until last year, the position of National President. Maureen returned to study in the 1980s, graduating with a Bachelor of Arts from Deakin University. She became a Fellow of the Australia College of Pharmacy Practice in 1993 and is a Life Member of the PSA. Maureen helped coordinate several regional education conferences in the Geelong region, is involved in the PSA Offshore Conferences and is an occasional presenter at their re-entry courses relating to S2/S3 medications.May 2009
Sam Gandolfo (PhC 1951) was a relieving pharmacist in Melbourne before working at Gear’s Pharmacy in Ballarat. In 1953 he joined RE Charles and Son Pharmacy in Richmond, which serviced Bethesda and Epworth hospitals. In 1954 he purchased his first pharmacy in Black Rock, followed by pharmacies in Glen Waverley, Blackburn North, Mulgrave, Waverley Gardens and Chirnside Park. He retired in 1995. During his career, Sam chaired several shopping centre committees and served on the state branch of the Pharmacy Guild of Australia. He was a demonstrator at the Victorian College of Pharmacy in pharmaceutical dispensing compounding and delivered lectures for the Asthma Foundation. After further studies, he developed and delivered a marketing lecture at RMIT. He was made an honorary life member of the Pharmaceutical Society of Australia in 2003.
Alan Hibberd (PhC 1953) worked in retail pharmacy after completing his studies in 1952. From 1959 to 1974 he was director of a medico-dental ethical manufacturer, also lecturing for the Dental Association and consulting in dental pharmacology and therapeutics. Moving to the UK in 1974, he completed a Postgraduate Diploma in Biopharmacy, following which he was appointed a Research Fellow and in 1979 received a PhD, all at the University of London. Alan then took up a joint appointment between Northwick Park Hospital and the School of Pharmacy, University of London to establish a master of science in clinical pharmacy. Later he was director of a pharmacology consultancy before setting up his own private referral practice in clinical ecology/toxicology. He conducted business in London for 24 years prior to returning to Australia in 2009, where he continues as a consultant in his field. He was made a fellow of the UK Royal Society of Medicine in 2003, is a member (scientific) of the British Society for Ecological Medicine and life-fellow of the Pharmaceutical Society of Australia. December 2010
Janice Lumsden (nee Reader) (PhC 1956) worked for three years in the Pharmacy Department of the Royal Children's Hospital. She married fellow pharmacist David Lumsden (PhC 1954) in 1959 and they conducted their own pharmacy in Caulfield for 35 years. Now retired from pharmacy, Janice still keeps in touch with many friends from her student days at the old Swanston Street site. October 2008
After completing her apprenticeship at Hores Pharmacy in Melbourne, Glenis Ponsford (nee Turnour) (PhC 1954) undertook locum work in the country and worked at Coates Pharmacy in Collins Street before travelling overseas. She married Geoff Ponsford (PhC 1953) in 1957 and together they purchased Woodend Pharmacy and Gisborne Pharmacy. In 1979 they travelled to the UK for a year, where they worked as hospital pharmacists and travelled extensively. Geoff and Glenis sold the pharmacies in the 1980s and moved to Mullaway, NSW. Between 1994 and 2003 they worked in community and hospital pharmacy, as well as registering in Queensland and working in small mining towns there. Glenis also served as a Justice of the Peace. They returned to Melbourne in 2008.
Keith Smith (PhC 1950) served his apprenticeship with Ruby Walker (Gold Medallist 1923) at Buckhurst's Pharmacy in Camberwell. He married Elizabeth McCurrach (PhC 1957) and they purchased the business. After a time at Cowes Pharmacy, Phillip Island, they purchased Nelson's Pharmacy in Glenroy which they ran for 28 years, along with pharmacies at Pascoe Vale and Prahran. Together with Vic Feehan, former Registrar of the Victorian College of Pharmacy, Keith formed the History of Pharmacy Chapter when he was a councillor of the Pharmaceutical Society of Australia (Victorian branch). He later became the inaugural President of the Australian Academy of Pharmacy History and is still involved today. Keith and Elizabeth are now retired and enjoying their 11 grandchildren, travel, golf, bridge and voluntary work. October 2008
After selling his business, John Veal (PhC 1959) worked part time as a locum in country Victoria for eight years for his niece, Catherine Vassie (BPharm 1982). Now retired, John spends his time travelling, in choir work and with the 3Gs – golf, gardening and grandchildren that include the recent addition of twin grandsons. He has been married to his wife Dorothy for 46 years. October 2008
Ian Walker (PhC 1954) retired from pharmacy in 1993. He has practised in many areas of Melbourne, including Carrum, Patterson Lakes and heart of the city Elizabeth Street. He has now moved to the Gold Coast and is enjoying an asthma-free life with wife Judith. October 2008
After graduation, Ken Wanden (PhC 1954) undertook locum work before joining his father Cyril's pharmacy in Northcote. There Ken and Cyril also established a significant photographic business. Ken continued on after Cyril's death in 1963, selling the business in 1994. Together with Ian Herbert, he founded the Cameraworld photographic group, finally retiring in 2002. Ken stays active and has just celebrated his 13th year as an MCG tour guide. He was recently joined there by fellow graduate Brian Cossar (BPharm 1960). October 2008
John Ware OAM (PhC 1950) was recently awarded a Fellowship of the International Pharmaceutical Federation (FIP). John received the honour in recognition of his representation for the FIP to the regional office of the World Health Organisation for the Western Pacific region and his current role as President of the Western Pacific Pharmaceutical Forum, the regional body representing FIP in the Asia–Pacific region. October 2008