The design and formulation of medicines are critical to the success of drug therapy—so drugs can be given safely and effectively by the desired route of administration. Timing, duration of action, and targeting of therapeutic effect are important factors to consider.
Successful product design requires detailed knowledge of the physicochemical properties of each drug, the factors that control drug release from the product, and the physiological factors that influence absorption, transport, metabolism and excretion of the drug.
Contemporary drug delivery science has developed a stable, reliable pharmaceutical product. With input from chemical, biological, mathematical and engineering sciences, technology now enables control of the extent and duration of drug release, as well as delivery to specific sites in the body.
D4's drug delivery programs focus on the following areas:
- Oral delivery of poorly water-soluble drugs
- Lymphatic absorption and targeted delivery to the lymphatic system
- Controlled release and responsive drug delivery systems
- Dry powder inhalation products (oxytocin, anti-infective agents, vaccines)
- Powder technologies, micro-particulates and oral drug delivery