Sexual Harassment and Discrimination
Monash University is committed to providing an environment for student and staff that is free from all forms of discrimination and sexual harassment. The University has Discrimination and Sexual Harassment Grievance Procedures for anyone who feels that they have experienced or been accused of discrimination or sexual harassment.
Sexual harassment can occur between two students, two staff or between students and staff. Though often experienced by females it can also affect males. The context and particularly the power differential between parties can influence a person's experience of sexual harassment which need not be intended by the other.
Sexual harassment is defined as:
An unwelcome sexual advance or unwelcome request for sexual favours or other unwelcome conduct of a sexual nature, in circumstances in which a reasonable person would anticipate that the person harassed would be offended, humiliated or intimidated.
Sexual harassment may occur as a single incident or series of incidents and can include:
- personally offensive comments
- intrusive or inappropriate questions
- comments about a person's private life
- offensive hand or body gestures
- unwanted declarations of affection
- physical violence or the threat of physical violence
- sexual assault and rape.
Discrimination both direct and indirect, based on any of the grounds listed below, are also covered by University policy and are not acceptable at Monash.
- national or ethnic origin
- sex or gender
- sexual orientation
- lawful sexual activity
- marital status
- pregnancy or potential pregnancy
- status as a parent or carer
- religious belief or activity
- industrial activity
- physical features
- medical record
- or personal association with anyone who is identified by reference to any of the above listed attributes.
The University has trained Discrimination and Harassment Grievance Advisers who support these procedures. Staff and students are welcome to approach any of the following advisers for further information. All enquiries are kept strictly confidential.
- Last updated:
- Maintained by: University Web Master