Applied research project: Elective unit
Refer to the Undergraduate Handbook entry for PAC3522 Applied research project for unit synopsis, objectives and assessment details. Research projects will be 4 weeks in length and will run end November or January/February prior to fourth year.
Only 20 students will be selected to enrol in this unit each year. See below for eligibility, selection criteria and application procedures. Please note that selection is based on merit and you should not apply for the unit if you have previously failed units.
Areas of research
The research projects will be undertaken at the Faculty of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences in one of five research areas:
- Medicinal Chemistry
- Drug Delivery, Disposition and Dynamics
- Drug Candidate Optimisation
- Medicine Use and Safety (Pharmacy practice)
- Education for Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences
In 2012, the Faculty began conducting research in the area of education for pharmacy and pharmaceutical sciences. This research provides the knowledge to drive leadership within the international health sciences educational community. The education projects will provide students with an understanding of the literature for a specific area of education research, and some skills in planning, conducting and analysing education research.
Projects assigned for 2018/2019
Students nominate five preferences for research projects they are interested in. Successful applicants will be notified of their acceptance into the unit prior to the timetable release and individual project arrangements will be advised prior to the project commencing.
Eligibility and applications
To be eligible students must:
- Have an active enrolment in the Bachelor of Pharmacy or Bachelor of Pharmacy/Bachelor of Commerce.
- Have a minimum 60% overall course average. Academic merit will form a large part of the selection criteria. Students who have failed a unit previously may not be considered.
- Apply before the conclusion of the examination period, semester 1, third year. The successful applicants will be enrolled into the unit before the start of semester 2, third year. Students should plan to make themselves available from November until March until the details of their project dates are provided. Introductory lectures are held in November, after the semester 2 examination period.
- Applicants will only be eligible to commence the unit after successful completion of all other third year units (all third year units minus the elective).
- Submit a short statement covering previous research experience, reasons for applying and how you believe you will benefit from undertaking a project. Also include details regarding interest in the area of research and your future plans. Please insert this information into the typed application.
Applications for PAC3522 Applied research project for Summer Semester 2018/2019 open on Monday, 14 May 2018, and close on Friday, 29 June 2018.
Students need to complete the following application form: PAC3522 Applied Research Project APPLICATION FORM (DOC, 0.05 MB).
Completed applications can be submitted to Student Services, ground floor Sissons building, Parkville or by emailing Helen Fox, Academic Services Coordinator, no later than Friday, 29 June 2018.
Applicants will be notified of the outcome prior to Semester 2.