Student files are managed centrally in TRIM (HPE Content Manager). Records and Archives Services (RAS) provides a range of support services for staff managing student files.
On this page:
- Student files enquiries
- Training and reference guides
- Naming conventions
- Scanning student documents
- Bulk mail uploads
- Have you put a document on the wrong student file?
Student files enquiries
Log enquiries via Service Desk Online
When logging a request, include 'TRIM' in the request summary (title).
Training and reference guides
Scanning student documents
Documents must be scanned in accordance with the specifications in the Student Files Digitisation Program. Scanned documents must be high quality as the hard copy will be destroyed. Scanning and registering will be completed by faculties and business units.
Boxes of scanned student documents
- Areas involved in student file digitising activities will retain the hard copy scans in their local areas for a minimum of 6 months. This is a recommended minimum based on a risk assessment to ensure that areas have a chance to rescan if they pick up a significant error during the first six months after the record has been digitised.
- Records Management staff will visit onsite at least once a year to an area within each Faculty (including areas outside of Faculties, such as MGRO) and do a sample check of 5% of digitised records on site in order to meet Public Record Office Victoria requirements. If your area does not have boxes ready to check when Records Management makes contact, a new time will be scheduled when the area has accumulated some hardcopy records ready to be checked/sampled.
- Areas will not need to undertake any other checking/sampling of the boxes (unless they wish to do more themselves).
- Areas will need to arrange their own destruction of the digitised hard copy records, 6 months after they have been digitised. Confidential waste bins can hold approximately 8-10 boxes worth of digitised records (based on the assumption that records are stored in A1 boxes - although areas can now store records going forward in whatever type of box they prefer).
Bulk mail uploads
Records Management provides a 'bulk upload' service to enable the fast and easy processing of multiple documents to TRIM student files. This service is available for uploads of more than 20 documents.
This service is temporarily unavailable. Records Management will continue to accept bulk email upload requests and register these at a later date.
When an email has been sent to a number of students, Records Management can use a bulk 'tool' to upload a copy of the email to multiple student files. The most common scenarios will be;
- The same generic email was sent to many students
- A tailored message was sent to many students using a mail merge
Service Requirements for processing:
- Please provide a Word template of the document sent to each student. This will be .doc format.
- Please provide a 'Data Source' as an excel .xls spreadsheet. The first column must contain the student ID and be headed 'STUDENT_ID'. All columns to be merged must 'match' the Word template, be capitalised, and contain an underscore where relevant (e.g. COURSE_CODE)
- The spreadsheet should be 'clean' with no highlighting, shading or borders. All numbers must be entered numerically. Numbers entered as 'text' will not be processed.
- Please include the title of the document as it should appear on the student record, as well as the actual date it was sent.
- One upload per service request, i.e. one template and one data source document.
This service is provided when there are more than 20 student documents to be added to various TRIM student files. These documents will often be scanned and saved in bulk (often to a shared drive), and then individually registered into TRIM. Providing the documents are titled according to the Monash naming conventions, simply add the students ID to the beginning of the document title, and these can be uploaded in bulk by Records Management.
Example: 12345678 - Enrolment Amendment - POTTER Harry - DDA1234 - 2018.pdf
Service requirements for processing:
- Please contact the RMO via Service desk with your initial request. Do not attach the records to the ticket, especially if they contain sensitive information. We will contact you with how to proceed from here.
How to request a bulk upload
Bulk uploads are requested via Service desk and the RMO can liaise with staff to explain and assist in the preparation of the initial bulk upload request if required.
Have you named a document wrong, or put a document on the wrong student file?
The title and file number of documents can be easily changed after they have been registered into TRIM. If you need to delete a document, see our instructional video.