Dr Amelia Liu
FEI Quanta 3D FIB/SEM Manager
|Quanta Manager, MCEM||2014 -|
|JEOL JEM-2100F FEGTEM Manager, MCEM||2013 - 2014|
|Margaret Clayton Research Fellow, School of Physics, Monash University||2009 - 2013|
|Engineering Department Fellow, Department of Materials Engineering, Monash University||2008 - 2009|
|Research Associate, Materials Science Division, Argonne National Laboratory||2004 - 2007|
|PhD, University of Melbourne||2003|
Amelia ‘s research interests focus on understanding the structure of disordered solids like glasses and amorphous materials. She was recently awarded the AMMS FEI Cowley-Moodie Award for Research in the Physical Sciences for the development of new S/TEM-based techniques to characterise the atomic structure of disordered materials.
- FEI Quanta 3D Training Course.
- Fundamentals of Dual Beam Microscopy: Applications on a Quanta 3D FEG.
- C. Hu, A. C. Y. Liu, M. Weyland, S. Hadi Madani, P. Pendleton, F. Rodriguez-Reinoso, K. Kaneko, M. J. Biggs, “A multi-method study of the transformation of the carbonaceous skeleton of a polymer-based nanoporous carbon along the activation pathway”, Carbon, 85, 119-134, (2015).
- K. D. Deshmukh, T. Qin, J. K. Gallaher, A. C. Y. Liu, E. Gann, K. O'Donnell, L. Thomsen, J. M. Hodgkiss, S. E. Watkins and C. R. McNeill, "Performance, morphology and photophysics of high open-circuit voltage, low band gap all- polymer solar cells", Energy and Environmental Science, 8, 332-342, (2015).
- C. H. Lau, P. T. Nguyen, M. R. Hill, A. W. Thornton, K. Konstas, C. M. Doherty, R. J. Mulder, L. Bourgeois, A. C. Y. Liu, D. J. Sprouster, J. P. Sullivan, T. J. Bastow, A. J. Hill, D. L. Gin, and R. D. Noble, “Ending Aging in Super Glassy Polymer Membranes”, Angewandte Chemie, 53, 1-6, (2014).
- L. Gorecki, A. C. Y. Liu and T. C. Petersen, “High-resolution radial distribution function of pure ion-implanted amorphous silicon measured using tilted-illumination selected area electron diffraction”, Microscopy and Microanalysis, 20, 50-54, (2014).
- A. C. Y. Liu and R. Arenal, “In situ transmission electron microscopy observation of keV-ion irradiation of single-walled carbon and boron nitride nanotubes”, Carbon, 62, 248, (2013).
- A. C. Y. Liu, M. J. Neish, G. Stokol, G. A. Buckley, L. A. Smillie, M. D. de Jonge, R. T. Ott, M. J. Kramer, and L. Bourgeois, “Systematic mapping of icosahedral short-range order in a melt-spun Zr36Cu64 metallic glass”, Phys. Rev. Lett. 110, 205505, (2013).
- K. B. Borisenko, B. Haberl, A. C. Y. Liu, Y. Chen, G. Li, J. S. Williams, J. E. Bradby, M. M. J. Treacy, D. J. H. Cockayne, “Medium-range order in amorphous silicon investigated by constrained structural relaxation of two-body and four-body electron diffraction data”, Acta Materialia, 60, 359, (2012).
- A. C. Y. Liu, D. M. Paganin, L. Bourgeois, P. N. H. Nakashima R. T. Ott and M. J. Kramer, “Quantitative microscopic measurement of void distribution in Zr66.7Cu33.3 glass”, Phys. Rev. B. 84, 094201, (2011).
- S. A. Eastwood, D. M. Paganin, and A. C. Y. Liu, “Automated phase retrieval of a single-material object using a single out-of-focus image”, Optics Lett., 36, 1878, (2011) and also featured in the Virtual Journal for Biomedical Optics (VJBO).
- A. C. Y. Liu, D. M. Paganin, L. Bourgeois, and P. N. H. Nakashima, “Projected thickness reconstruction form a single defocused transmission electron microscope image of an amorphous object”, Ultramicroscopy, 111, 959, (2011).
- B. Haberl, A. C. Y. Liu, J. E. Bradby, S. Ruffell, J. S. Williams and P. Monroe, “Characterizations of pressure-induced amorphous silicon”, Phys. Rev. B. 79, 155209 (2009).
- D. J. Sordelet, R. Ott, M. Li, S. Wang, C-Z Wang, M. Besser, A. C. Y. Liu, and M. J. Kramer, “Crystallization and Structure of ZrxPt100-x (73<x<77) Metallic Glasses”, Metallurgical and Materials Transactions A, 39, 1908, (2008).
- R. Arenal and A. C. Y. Liu, “Clustering of the sp2 phase detected in a highly-hydrogenated diamond-like carbon film using Raman spectroscopy and fluctuation electron microscopy”, Appl. Phys. Lett., 91, 211903, (2007).
- A. C. Y. Liu, R. Arenal, X. Chen, “Clustering in a highly-hydrogenated diamond-like carbon determined using fluctuation electron microscopy and phenomenological atomistic simulations”, Phys. Rev. B. Rapid Comm. 76, 121401R, (2007) and also featured in the Sept. 17 issue of the Virtual Journal of Nanoscale Science and Technology.
- A. C. Y. Liu, R. Arenal, D. J. Miller, Xidong Chen, J. A. Johnson, O. L. Eryilmaz, A. Erdemir and John. B. Woodford, “Structural order in near-frictionless diamond-like carbon films probed at three different length scales in the transmission electron microscope”, Phys. Rev. B. 75, 205402, (2007).