Dr Xi-Ya Fang
SEM Manager, Acting FIB Manager and SEM Sample Preparation Manager
Xi-Ya Fang joined the MCEM in February 2010, coming from the Department of Materials Engineering in Monash University.
Xi-Ya started her PhD at the Central South University in China in 2005. Her PhD project focused on the relationship between microstructure and deformation behaviour of magnesium alloys. She was awarded a scholarship for her research from the China Scholarship Council and the Engineering Faculty of Monash University which allowed her to carry out her PhD project in Monash University from 2007 to 2009. After completing her PhD in 2009, she undertook a postdoctoral research fellow position at the Department of Materials Engineering in Monash University working further on the microstructure of deformed magnesium alloys. Having spent years in the electron microscopy, Xi-Ya has gained a wide range of skills and extensive experience in the materials characterisation area.
High resolution SEM imaging; EBSD analysis.
- Introduction to Scanning Electron Microscopy: Theory and Applications in Physical Sciences.
- Fundamentals of Electron Backscatter Diffraction (EBSD).
- JEOL JSM-7001F Training Course.
- FEI Nova NanoSEM Training Course.
- FEI Magellan Training Course.
- Orlov, D., Pelliccia, D., Fang, X.Y., Bourgeois, L., Kirby, N., Nikulin, A.Y., Ameyama, K. and Estrin, Y., "Particle evolution in Mg-Zn-Zr alloy processed by integrated extrusion and equal channel angular pressing: Evaluation by electron microscopy and synchrotron small-angle X-ray scattering", Acta Materialia, v. 72, 110-124 (2014).
- Nossol, E., Nossol, A.B.S., Guo, S.X., Zhang, J., Fang, X.Y., Zarbin, A.J.G. and Bond, A.M., "Synthesis, characterization and morphology of reduced grapheme oxide-metal-TCNQ nanocomposites", Journal of Materials Chemistry C, v. 2, 870-878 (2014).
- Nilghaz, A., Ballerini, D.R., Fang, X.Y. and Shen, W., "Semiquantitative analysis on microfluidic thread-based analytical devices by ruler", Sensors and Actuators B: Chemical, v. 191, 586-594 (2014).
- Nie, J.F., Zhu, Y.M., Liu, J.Z. and Fang, X.Y., "Periodic segregation of solute atoms in fully coherent twin boundaries", Science, v. 340, 957-960 (2013).
- Xu, B., Rollo, B., Stamp, L.A., Zhang, D., Fang, X.Y., Newgreen, D.F. and Chen, Q.Z., "Non-linear elasticity of core/shell spun PGS/PLLA fibres and their effect on cell proliferation", Biomaterials, v. 34, 6306-6317 (2013).
- Farhoumand, A., Hodgson, P.D., Khoddam, S. and Fang, X.Y., "Multiple pass axi-symmetrical forward spiral extrusion of interstitial-free (IF) steel", Materials Science & Engineering A, v. 579, 217-225 (2013).
- Xu, B., Li, Y., Fang, X.Y., Thouas, G.A., Cook, W.D., Newgreen, D.F. and Chen, Q.Z., "Mechanically tissue-like elastomeric polymers and their potential as a vehicle to deliver functional cardiomyocytes", Journal of the Mechanical Behavior of Biomedical Materials, v. 28, 354-365 (2013).
- Grobner, J., Kozlov, A., Fang, X.Y., Geng, J., Nie, J.F. and Schmid-Fetzer, R., "Phase equilibria and transformations in ternary Mg-rich Mg-Y-Zn alloys", Acta Materialia, v. 60, 5948-5962 (2012).
- Cram, D.G., Fang, X.Y., Zurob, H.S., Brechet, Y.J.M. and Hutchinson, C.R., "The effect of solute on discontinuous dynamic recrystallization", Acta Materialia, v. 60, 6390-6404 (2012).
- Jayaratne, V.N., Chang, S.L.Y., Fang, X.Y. and Chaffee, A.L., "Phase and morphological segregation in Ti-MCM-41", Microporous and Mesoporous Materials, v. 151, 466-473 (2012).
- Chen, Q.Z., Xu, J.L., Yu, L.G., Fang, X.Y. and Khor, K.A., "Spark plasma sintering of sol-gel 45S5 bioglass-ceramics: mechanical properties and biocompatibility evaluation", Materials Science and Engineering C, v. 32, 494-502 (2012).
- Arbatan, T., Zhang, L., Fang, X.Y. and Shen, W., "Cellulose nanofibers as binder for fabrication of superhydrophobic paper", Chemical Engineering Journal, v. 210, 74-79 (2012).
- Geng, J., Gao, X., Fang, X.Y. and Nie, J.F., "Enhanced age-hardening response of Mg-Zn alloys via Co additions", Scripta Materialia, v. 64, 506-509 (2011).
- Arbatan, T., Fang, X.Y. and Shen, W., "Superhydrophobic and oleophilic calcium carbonate powder as a selective oil sorbent with potential use in oil spill clean-ups", Chemical Engineering Journal, v. 166, 787-791 (2011).
- Liang, S.L., Yang, X.Y., Fang, X.Y., Cook, W.D., Thouas, G.A. and Chen, Q.Z., "In Vitro enzymatic degradation of poly (glycerol sebacate)-based materials", Biomaterials, v. 32, 8486-8496 (2011).
- Adekunle, A.S., Ayenimo, J.G., Fang, X.Y., Doherty, W.O., Arotiba, O.A. and Mamba, B.B., "Electrochemical response and impedimetric behaviour of dopamine and epinephrine at platinum electrode modified with carbon nanotubes-gold nanocomposite", International Journal of Electrochemical Science, v. 6, 2826-2844 (2011).
- Gibson, M.A., Fang, X.Y., Bettles, C.J. and Hutchinson, C.R., "The effect of precipitate state on the creep resistance of Mg-Sn alloys", Scripta Materialia, v. 63, 899-902 (2010).
- Fang, X.Y., Yi, D.Q., Nie, J.F., Zhang, X.J., Wang, B., and Xiao, L.R., "Effect of Zr, Mn and Sc additions on the grain size of Mg-Gd alloy", Journal of Alloys and Compounds, v. 470, 311-316 (2009).
- Fang, X.Y., Yi, D.Q. and Nie, J.F., "Influence of solution treatments on the age-hardening response of Mg-Gd(-Mn-Sc) alloys", Journal of Alloys and Compounds, v. 486, 900-904 (2009).
- Fang, X.Y., Yi, D.Q. and Nie, J.F., "The serrated flow behavior of Mg-Gd(-Mn-Sc) alloys", Metallurgical and Materials Transactions A, v. 40, 2761-2771 (2009).