Skip to Content

Settling In

After moving in, now the excitement really starts as you are about to undertake some of the biggest events in your life at University – Orientation (in your Residence and the University), and actually looking after yourself, getting around, and staying safe. There are a range of challenges a student may face whilst living on campus, but MRS has a wide range of programs and initiatives to support your journey.

Matt again! It can be tough settling into a new place. This section covers some of the most important activities programs and topics to ensure you are prepared for your life in Res:

  • Orientation (in Res and at Monash)
  • Respectful relationships in Res – and the importance of understanding sexual consent
  • Money (and making sure you have enough)
  • Transport
  • Food at Residential Events and in the Residential community
  • A special focus on our international residents


Orientation is a fantastic few weeks which will prepare you for life at University. Orientation is different at each campus, for each Faculty, for undergraduate/postgraduates and for each Residence, but one thing you can be sure of, is that Orientation is BUSY. MRS makes sure that all of our orientation programs fit into the wider academic and campus orientation programs and you will have received emails about registering for the e-orientation planner but don’t worry if Res activities are not included – we make sure to fit around the very important orientation for your degree(s) and design our program to complement on-campus orientation.

See more at the Monash University orientation page by clicking here.

Monash University also has programs dedicated to assisting you in your transition to University life (click here!)

Respect. Now. Always.

Monash is a partner in Universities Australia’s national Respect. Now. Always. campaign and is committed to eliminating sexual assault and harassment.
With the help of Monash students, our Safer Community Unit has produced a video Consent, explaining what sexual consent means, where it begins and where it ends.
Every member of the MRS community will watch this video before commencing their residency. If you are a Monash student, you can watch the video by enrolling in the Moodle unit.

You can read more information about consent (how to get it, and how to give it) – just click here.

Click here to find out more about what make MRS a safe place for all.

Respectful Relationships and Consent

Hi, I’m Ellen. I was the MSA’s Womens Officer in 2015 – and as well as being a proud Monash student, I also work in sexual education (and in the University’s Safer Community Unit). Part of my role at Monash is to work with MRS to help residents develop the skills and behaviour to navigate sexual relationships.

Moving onto Res means that you’re going to be meeting a lot of new people, and this might even mean the first time engaging in intimate or sexual relationships. Some people will choose not to have sexual relationships whilst they are living with us and that is fine as well.

What we want to make sure is that you make the choice about what you do, not someone else. And the same applies to other people who you may have a sexual interest in – what they are comfortable and wanting is the most important thing for them (and should be for you too).

MRS is an adult residential community where we respect the rights of residents to engage in appropriate, legal and enjoyable interpersonal relationships – but each member of the community has the right (and expectation) that others will treat them in a way which is appropriate and comfortable for them.

Individual attitudes to sex will vary from person to person – and no matter what your personal attitude to sex is – the most important thing to remember is that before you do anything sexual with another person you need consent, and before anyone does something sexual to you, you need to give them your consent. Consent means that everyone involved fully understands and freely agrees what they’re going to be involved in before and while anything is happening.

How do you know you have consent? You ask your partner and listen to what they say. Even if it feels a bit awkward, making sure you have consent it too important to ignore, and asking let’s your partner know that you respect them and their boundaries. If they say “no” “maybe later” or even say nothing at all, you have to stop.

Having relationships that are not only consensual but respectful at MRS isn’t just important, it’s the standard. Touching someone, having sex with someone or taking or distributing explicit photos of someone without their consent isn’t a joke, it isn’t a prank and it isn’t just something that your mates do for a laugh. It’s a crime, it’s harmful, it’s wrong and it’s something that we won’t tolerate, and you shouldn’t either.

A culture of respect: In a wider context, it is essential that all residents understand that living in a residential community means respecting all other members of the community – in the way you act with and towards other people. MRS brings people together from all over Australia and the world (we usually have over 50 different nationalities in residence) – and we expect everyone to understand what our expectations of their behaviour are.

Please follow this link to learn more about the MRS Respectful Communities program.


Isn’t money great? Unfortunately, for most of us, one of the hardest parts of being a student is trying to manage your money. Not only are there uni fees to worry about but there are also other expenses like rent and food. Living away from home can certainly be an expensive time. You could get a part time job to help with your finances – to find yourself a part time job check out your local shopping centre or head to one of the many online agencies, or better still use the Monash Career Gateway (which has many services to help you with current and future employment).

Monash University also has a centralised website for financial assistance for students (student loans, contact with the Centrelink (Federal Government Income support), budgeting and managing your money).  All this information can be found by visiting Monash Financial Assistance.

For more hints on budgeting and money from MRS residents visit Money (keeping your cash).


Getting around the campus when in Res is easy as you can walk or ride a bike, but sometimes you need to leave the safe embrace of the campus. Not everyone has a car. This means that we rely on friends (who have cars) or public transport to get around. It’s great to live on campus and walk to Uni, but when you want to get somewhere off-campus, PT (public transport) is the go.

Visit the public transport page for all monash campuses for helpful information. For all travel on public transport in Melbourne you will need a Myki (see this link). You can purchase a Myki from lots of locations, including on campus. If you are a Monash student, you may be eligible for a public transport concession card. All you need to do to is log into your Web Enrolment System, click on the link to ‘transport concession’. If your are eligible for a concession card, an email will be sent to you with the form you take to your local train station to get your concession card.

You can also use the Public Transport Victoria Journey Planner to work out the best way to get from where you are, to where you want to be. A great idea if you are going to have a night out in the city is the Night Network, a service of busses and trains that run through the night.

For some hints on staying safe on public transport (and when going out in general) visit Personal Safety.

Food at Res Events and in your Community

Who doesn’t love free food?
One of the great things about living in Res is activities where residents get together and share meals… some of these are provided by your RST (especially during orientation) but there are also opportunities for you to enjoy food prepared by your fellow residents. And if you sharing your favourite dish from home with your fellow residents, you want to make sure they enjoy the meal! We really strongly recommend that every resident spend a little bit of time making sure that they understand food safety. The Victorian Government has a great online training program (which takes about 1 hour to complete) – All residents should complete this online course (which has a certificate) to make sure you are safe in preparing your food in the residence!
Here are some very useful links for food safety you may find helpful (or visit the Vic Health Website for more information):

MRS also has a policy about how food is prepared and served at Residence Functions (including ‘pot luck dinners) – this can be found in your Site Handbook.

A special focus on our international residents

At MRS, about half of our community is comprised of students who are studying at Monash through exchange, or indeed have ventured from various parts of the world to undertake their University studies.

We love the richness in diversity that this brings to our community, but also know, that for some of our students, settling into a home and in a country away from their origins can be a bit challenging.

We encourage you to review all key information provided for international students here.

There is a dedicated team at the University, the International Student Engagement team, who  offer a whole heap of fantastic support services for international students.  This includes the following:

  • Pre-departure briefings
  • Opportunities to meet other students
  • International Student Newsletter – highlighting activities, events and more
  • And a whole heap of other support. Click here to find out more information!

We also want to highlight some important information about accessing support services outside the University, especially when it comes to seeking emergency medical assistance.

Public hospitals in Australia usually charge an upfront fee to overseas patients in the emergency departments as they are Medicare (health insurance) ineligible. The amount charged can vary and is determined by each hospital, therefore there is no set amount that students are covered for. Other costs may be incurred for other additional procedures during the hospital visit such as pathology and radiology costs, these are billed separately to the emergency department fee. Usually students will receive an unpaid invoice for these accounts if not directly billed to their private insurance provider.

Students should submit a claim to an insurance provider for such costs, by providing the invoice and the hospital discharge notes. The amount refunded depends on the Medicare Item Number on the invoice. The amount that students are covered for by their OSHC policy is usually the same as the Medicare rebate. Some students (depending on the code) have had the full amount refunded.

If students are unable to pay the upfront fee, they can ask Emergency Department  staff to call their insurance provider directly using the number on the back of the student’s OSHC card to get a “hospital guarantee”. Allianz must have passport and nationality details recorded. Students can update these details on the OSHC app.