Summary of learning points:
- Make sure that you understand the assignment instructions and follow them carefully.
- The terminology of case note assignments varies, but they will usually include a summary of the case and a critical analysis.
- Not all case notes have to be structured in the same way. Read widely and choose a structure suitable for your assignment.
- Effective research strategies will help you find the preferred version of your case (i.e. an authorised version if available), and relevant sources to inform your understanding, analysis and possible recommendations.
- Identify the important elements of a case for more effective reading.
- Analyse the impact of a case by considering it in light of related cases, legislation and scholarly sources.
- Develop good writing and citation techniques to construct a great assignment.
You can download and review the full assignment sample (PDF, 0.44 MB).
NOTE: The purpose of this tutorial is to demonstrate how an average student paper could be improved. DO NOT use the example paper as a model for your own assignment.