GEN3010 - Applied Bioinformatics
The first offering of this unit will be in Semester 2, 2021.
With advancements in high-throughput data generation technologies, we are now able to generate a large amount of data from genome-scale experiments. Biologists need to work with this large volume of data in various digital forms to uncover biological knowledge from it. Bioinformatics is the interdisciplinary field that deals with processing, analysis, and management of biological information using computer science and information technologies. This unit will assist you to develop essential bioinformatics skills and focuses on the practical use of bioinformatics methods and resources for the analysis of nucleotide and protein sequences, as well as results from omics studies, with emphasis on their evolutionary underpinnings and statistical foundations. You will explore the basic concepts underlying bioinformatics algorithms for assembly, alignment and pattern finding. You will also get hands-on experience in working with data from –omics studies, and learn data type-specific methods to perform gene/protein expression analysis, clustering, network analysis, and data visualisation. Basic concepts of machine learning in genomics will be introduced.
On successful completion of this unit, you should be able to:
- Analyse current high-throughput techniques to generate omics data and apply standard workflows to analyse them;
- Implement gene set enrichment, network analysis and data visualisation protocols;
- Evaluate genome assemblies and underlying algorithms using short and long read sequencing data;
- Perform basic computer programming with case studies involving DNA pattern finding;
- Describe applications of machine learning in biology;
- Demonstrate team work, scientific communication and peer to peer learning and feedback.
|Names||Dr Sonika Tyagi|
|Office location||18Inn (Bld 17) - Rm 111|
|Office hours||By appointment - please e-mail|
|Program for 2021|
|Handbook Entry||GEN3010 - Synopsis, Assessment & Prerequisites|
|Schedule||GEN3010 - Lecture & Practical Schedule for 2021|
|Science Faculty||Information for Current Students|
|University||Information for Students - Timetables, Exam, Semester Dates, more.....|