R U OK? Day with Monash Sport
R U OK? Day on Thursday 12 September, is a national day of action dedicated to inspire all Australians to ask family, friends and colleagues, ‘Are you ok?’ By regularly reaching out to one another and having open and honest conversations, we can all help build a more connected community and reduce our country’s high suicide rate.
R U OK? Day isn’t just about asking colleagues, friends and family if they are OK on one day a year. It is about continuously asking them and being able to identify the signs of a loved one's behaviour! Monash Sport is proud to offer FREE meditation classes for our entire community year-round and provide a variety of different activities for mental and physical health each month in support of mental health and wellbeing.
Monash Sport offerings: R U OK? Day 2019
We encourage everyone to bring a friend or meet a friend this R U OK? Day at Monash Sport. Make a new friend in one of our Group Fitness classes or bring a friend for a workout in the fitness centre.
FREE access to the following Monash Sport Group Fitness Class: Boxing, 5.00pm
All year round
Be sure to check our social media accounts and Events Calendar
* Subject to availability. Please visit our friendly Service Desk team on arrival to register for Monash Sport's R U OK? Day casual waiver form.
More R U OK? Day events to take part in
There are events across all our campuses throughout the day for both students and staff. Visit the Monash University official R U OK? Day webpage here.
Benefits of exercise for your mental health
- Promotes the release of feel-good chemicals in your brain, like endorphins and serotonin
- It helps you sleep better so you restfully at night and feel more energised during the day
- Gives you a sense of accomplishment as your fitness improves and you start achieving your goals
- Exercise is usually a shared activity with others so you get the added benefits of social connection
Source: Beyond Blue
At Monash Sport, we are big believers in supporting mental health and wellbeing initiatives. In 2018, 92% of Monash students surveyed indicated that Monash Sport experiences helped to improve their mental health.
Monash has a number of clubs, societies, sporting, religious and recreational groups that welcome new members, so link up, become a part of one of our many communities!