Monash-approved arrangements

International students under 18 years of age need a guardian while studying in Australia.

If you aren't staying with a parent, custodian or eligible relative, you need to have your caregiver and accommodation arrangements approved by Monash. This needs to be done before you can apply for your visa.

Apply for approval

Before applying for approval, see the information below about arrangements for:

How to apply

When you receive your Monash University offer, you need to complete and return the under 18 welfare and accommodation arrangements form (pdf, 0.09 mb)

After submitting the form you will receive confirmation from the Monash College U18 Guardianship team. You need to make payment before the arrangement is approved.

Once your arrangements are approved, Monash will send your Confirmation of Enrolment (COE) and Confirmation of Appropriate Accommodation and Welfare (CAAW). You can then apply for your visa.

Monash College students

If you're starting at Monash College, please follow the instructions for Monash College and packaged offers: Students under 18.


Guardianship for underage Monash students is provided by the Monash College U18 Guardianship Service. Before enrolment, students are assigned a guardian through this service, who is responsible for their wellbeing until they turn 18 years of age.

The guardianship service includes:

  • regular check-ins with dedicated staff, on campus and in multiple languages
  • close liaison with students' accommodation providers
  • after-hours phone support
  • direct contact with parents
  • on-site support with a range of services, which include making medical appointments, getting approval for travel, etc.

For details, see the Monash Guardianship Service.


You also need to arrange for Monash-approved accommodation and should do this as early as possible to secure a place.

Your options are:

  • on-campus accommodation
  • Homestay with a local family, arranged by Monash
  • approved off-campus accommodation (City and Parkville students only).

On-campus accommodation

Monash Residential Services offers a range of on-campus accommodation on the Clayton and Peninsula campuses. If you're studying at Caulfield, the Clayton campus accommodation is a good option as we run a free shuttle bus service between the campuses.

Each residence has activities to help you make new friends and get into good study habits. There's a Residential Support Team for support and assistance although you'll be responsible for your own meals and basic housekeeping. For full details about accommodation on campus, see live on campus.


If you prefer to live in a family environment, then Homestay is a good option. Families are specially chosen to provide a safe, supportive home that is within 60 minutes of your Monash campus.

You'll live in an English-speaking home, with your own bedroom and full board, comprising breakfast and lunch (this may be self-service) as well as dinner, seven days a week.

For Monash University students, there's no application fee. If offered a Homestay place, you don't have to accept until you receive your Monash offer.

For more information and how to apply, see Homestay.

Off-campus accommodation (City and Parkville students)

If you're a City or Parkville student and you wish to live independently off-campus, you can consider the single room options available with the following approved providers:

Got a question? Monash Connect can help