Bullying is repeated unreasonable behaviour towards another person or group that creates a risk to their health and safety. It’s still bullying even if it’s not intentional.
Bullying can be verbal, physical, social or psychological, and includes:
- offensive language
- insulting someone about physical characteristics
- teasing or telling jokes
- hitting, hurting or shoving someone
- continually intimidating, excluding or isolating another person.
When a bully uses technology, such as the internet, mobile phones or cameras, to hurt or embarrass someone, it’s called cyberbullying. This may involve making unpleasant comments about someone, spreading rumours, or sharing embarrassing videos or pictures of them.
What to do
If you feel safe and comfortable enough to do so, tell the person you find their bullying behaviour offensive and inappropriate.
If the situation becomes threatening or potentially dangerous, immediately call:
- Monash Security on 03 9905 3333 (for immediate help on campus)
- 000 (for immediate help on or off campus).
If you experience, see or hear about any bullying behaviour, we encourage you to make a report online to the Safer Community Unit.
If speaking to the person about their behaviour has not stopped the bullying, ask the Safer Community Unit for help. Or you may prefer to talk to a trusted supervisor, colleague or the head of department – someone you know who will listen and offer constructive support. You might also wish to access our counselling services.
If someone you know is experiencing bullying, encourage them to contact the Safer Community Unit.
For more information, see getting help and support.
More help and advice
- Bullying and harassment information sheet (pdf, 0.1 mb): Read about what bullying is, what you can do about it and where you can go for help and support.
- Bullying and harassment information booklet (pdf, 0.4 mb): Get information about different forms of bullying and harassment, your reporting options, when it's unlawful and what to do if you know someone who’s experienced it.