Skip to content

Receiving a Notice of Referral and Hearing


If you get a Notice of Referral and Hearing from your faculty, don't ignore it

You can either:

  1. reply (this must be in writing)
  2. withdraw from your course (discontinue).

Know your rights

Student rights officers run information sessions each year. They give advice on how to reply to the notice. You can also speak to a counsellor at the session.

For contact details, see student advocacy and support.

Writing your reply

Explain why you've failed

Your reply needs to:

  1. show that you understand why you failed
  2. explain the issues that affected your study
  3. detail the steps you will take (or have taken) to make sure you don't fail again
  4. say why you want to continue your course.

You can include information about your personal situation if it's relevant and you want to mention it.

You should include any supporting documents. For instance, if you've been seeing a counsellor or doctor, you could ask them to write a letter confirming your situation.

Say if you want to attend the hearing

If your reply satisfies the faculty, you’ll be allowed to continue your course, with or without conditions. If the faculty still has questions, you’ll be called to an Academic Progress Committee hearing.

Your reply should also say whether or not you want to attend a hearing. You don't have to, but if you go, you can respond to concerns the committee may have.

See Attending an Academic Progress Committee hearing.


If you're sure you want to withdraw from your course entirely, you need to apply for course discontinuation.

Got a question? Monash Connect can help