Financial information

Funding your trip could be easier than you think

Studying overseas doesn't need to cost you the earth. As an intercampus exchange student you don't pay any additional tuition fees, you can take advantage of a number of scholarships and packages too.

Living and travel costs are your responsibility

Your living and travel costs aren't included in your fees, so you'll need to budget and pay for them. The cost of living varies from country-to-country, and also depends on the length of time you plan to be away. Make sure you budget to have enough money to cover you for things like your return airfare, travel insurance, visas, accommodation, food, text books, sightseeing, entertainment and any extra travel you plan to do.

Living and travel costs range from as little as $2000 in total for short-term international study programs, up to $2000 per month – more in some high-cost countries – for full semester exchanges. Some partner unis also require you to pay for health insurance or orientation activities, so be aware that extra costs like these might pop up.


Before travelling to any Monash campus, in Malaysia or Australia, you'll need to arrange a student visa. Find out which visa  you'll need.


Health insurance

Under Australian and Malaysian visa rules, all international students (although there are some exceptions) must have basic medical and hospital cover before they can apply for a student visa.

The names and levels of cover differ depending on where you'll be studying, and for how long. Find out more about the pricing and specifics of overseas student health cover.

Travel insurance

While your overseas student health cover will insure you once you arrive at Monash, it doesn't cover you for things like flight cancellations and lost baggage/personal items. For this reason we strongly encourage you to take out comprehensive travel insurance before you leave home.

If you're from one of our Australian campuses you'll receive complimentary travel insurance as part of the Monash Abroad Travel Scholarship.