Important visa information

If you’re planning to stay in the Switzerland for more than 90 days you’ll need a Long Term visa (visa D) from the Swiss Consulate in your home country.
To apply for a long term visa, you will need to provide a confirmation letter you’re your host university, which they will send to you upon acceptance. A list of required documentation can be found here. Other specific information regarding visas for Australians is listed here.

University of Lausanne

Faculties: Faculty of Business and Economics only
Level: Undergraduate and postgraduate
Minimum grade requirement:
Semester dates:

  • Fall Semester: mid-September – early February
  • Spring semester: mid-February – early July

Full time study load: 30 ECTS per semester
Other: Bachelor programmes are taught in French with a selection of courses in English. At the Master level, courses are in English and French with some tracks taught entirely in English. Students are not required to pass any language proficiency test.

About The University of Lausanne

Born of the Academy founded in 1537, the University of Lausanne (UNIL) hosts more than 14,000 students and 3,000 researchers. HEC Lausanne, the Faculty of Business and Economics of the University of Lausanne, is located in a unique and safe environment by Lake Geneva with the Swiss Alps as a backdrop. Public transport connects the campus to the city centre in just 10 minutes. The campus also has exceptional sporting and leisure facilities, as well as fast and easy transport connections to Geneva’s international airport and all major European cities.

The specifics

The HEC exchange office is the administrative coordinator for exchange students and will assist you in your application to study at the University of Lausane. You can search for programs on the Academic Programmes Webpage.

Bachelor exchange students are allowed to take courses only in the 2nd and/or 3rd year of the Bachelor programme (undergraduate). In order to attend Master courses (graduate), exchange students must have completed a Bachelor’s degree or a minimum of 3 years’ specialized study (a minimum of 180 ECTS credits).

The University of Lausanne (UNIL) does not have on-campus student housing. The university recommends that exchange students try finding a room as soon as possible as there is a shortage of accommodation in the Lausanne area. Students who wish to live in an off-campus residence hall should contact the Fondation Maisons pour Etudiants. They should indicate that you are exchange students. Students may ask for information about other housing options at the Social-Cultural Affairs Service (SASC) of the UNIL.