New Colombo Plan Mobility Grants
A selection of semester and short term exchange, study abroad and faculty global study tour programs have been allocated New Colombo Plan (NCP) Mobility Grants funding. Grants are available for students who meet the required eligibility criteria outlined below.
You do not need to apply for these grants as your eligibility will be assessed by Monash University if you are accepted into an NCP Mobility Grant awarded program.
New Colombo Plan Mobility Program funding has been awarded to Monash University by the Australian Government as part of a signature initiative that aims to lift the knowledge of the Indo-Pacific within Australia and to strengthen our people-to-people and institutional relationships.
1. Semester-length exchange programs
A limited number of grants of $7,000 each are available for Monash University students for study at selected exchange partners. Students who meet the eligibility requirements for the New Colombo Plan Mobility Grant (see below) will be automatically considered by Monash Abroad for a grant; there is no requirement to submit a grant application. These grants are awarded on the basis of academic merit (the WAM in the student’s current degree at the time of being accepted by their host institution). Successful recipients notified by Monash Abroad of the funding outcome after they have been accepted into the exchange program.
As at September 2021, there are 61 grants available for students departing in semester 2, 2022 and Semester 1, 2023 to the following NCP locations:
- Hong Kong
- South Korea
2. Faculty study tours
A small number of undergraduate study tours have been awarded NCP Mobility Grant funding. If you are participating on a faculty overseas study tour, the unit coordinator will advise you if NCP funding is available. All enquiries in relation to study tours should be directed to faculties.
Eligibility for New Colombo Plan Mobility Grants
To be eligible to be considered of one of the grants detailed above, students must:
- have been accepted by Monash Abroad for an exchange, study abroad, short- term program or study tour as a for-credit student;
- be aged between 18-28 years at the commencement of the mobility program;
- be an Australian citizen;
- be enrolled in either a Monash Australia bachelor degree or bachelor honours degree;
- not be an employee of the branch of Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) that administers the NCP; and
- during the course of their studies have received no more than one student grant for the same mobility program or received no more than two student grants during their bachelor degree.
In addition to the above, students cannot receive a grant to undertake a mobility program in a host location in which they have dual citizenship or residency rights, or in which they have previously been a citizen or permanent resident.