Global Work Integrated Learning

You may be required to complete Global Work Integrated Learning (or GWIL, sometimes referred to as an ‘internship’) as part of your degree or certification requirements - they are especially common in degrees such as Engineering, Medicine, Nursing and Health Science, Education and IT.

GWIL lets you put into practice what you’ve learnt during your degree. When taken overseas these experiences deepen your academic perspective, and along the way open you up a world of networking opportunities that can enhance your employment and career prospects.

How does it work?

GWIL projects enable you to work with industry mentors to address an authentic problem, for credit or a ‘hurdle’ requirement.  Units which offer GWIL projects units are published in the Handbook, are available in most degrees and are usually administered by faculties.

Where can I go and what can I learn?

GWIL projects include opportunities in a variety of destinations. Usually these are pre-arranged through faculties, although sometimes you can determine your own experience. One of the most popular overseas program destinations is the Monash Prato Centre in Italy.

Global Work Integrated Learning projects

Opportunities for Global Work Integrated Learning will be added to the Program Search as they become available.

Business and Economics

Eligible graduate students can complete an international internship as part of the QTEM Graduate exchange and internship program.


The Engineering faculty offers graduate internship opportunities to those studying a Master of Professional Engineering or Advanced Engineering, with the possibility of undertaking an international internship during the summer or winter semester.

Medicine, Nursing and Health Sciences

The Medicine, Nursing and Health Sciences faculty offers global work integrated learning for students.


The Science faculty offers opportunities of Undergraduate International Internships and Graduate International Internships to eligible students.


To be eligible to apply you need to:

  • be currently enrolled in a Monash undergraduate or postgraduate coursework degree
  • apply for a GWIL unit for which you can receive academic recognition towards your degree
  • complete all application requirements for the overseas unit, as set out by your faculty.