Professional Psychology - D5002
Are you seeking further studies in psychology? The Graduate Diploma of Professional Psychology is an Australian Psychology Accreditation Council (APAC) accredited fourth-year qualification in psychology.
The course is suited for people who have completed a bachelor's degree with a major in psychology from any course accredited by the Australian Psychology Accreditation Council (APAC), and who want to pursue advanced postgraduate study in psychology at master's or doctoral level, or alternatively to undertake supervised psychological practice.
Based on a scientist–practitioner model, the course provides advanced study of the discipline of psychology, research training, and an introduction to psychological practice.
By engaging with contemporary research and literature in developmental psychology, you will:
- understand human development across the lifespan including biological, perceptual, cognitive, personality, social and emotional changes from infancy to adulthood
- examine legislation relating to the practice of psychology and how to comply with such legislation
- appreciate the role of ethics in maintaining the integrity and cohesiveness of the profession
- learn about individual differences and how these may be assessed using different assessment tools
- develop an appreciation of the role of scientific research in the field of psychology and undertake an independent research project.
You will have a choice of one elective. At present, topics include positive psychology in professional practice and developmental psychology and wellbeing.
Eligible graduates may proceed to further training and study required for professional registration in psychology.
Note: A minimum six-year sequence of education and training in psychology is required for an individual to become eligible for general registration as a psychologist in Australia. Registration requirements are determined by the Psychology Board of Australia (PsyBA); consistent with the National Registration and Accreditation Scheme. You can read more about the pathways to registration on the Australian Psychological Society (APS) website.
Graduates of this Graduate Diploma qualify for associate membership of the Australian Psychological Society (Assoc MAPS), and are eligible to progress to fifth- and sixth-year level work in psychology.