You need to satisfy the following entrance requirements to be considered for entry to this course.
Minimum Entry Requirements
All applicants must be able to demonstrate a capacity to carry out independent research and have adequate training and ability to pursue the proposed course of study.
See the Section 2.1 of the Graduate Research Handbooks for detailed information.
Sound English language skills are required for academic programs at Monash University.
See the Section 2.2 of the Graduate Research Handbooks for detailed information.
University entrance requirements
Minimum entrance requirements for admission to Monash University Australia.
Your degree will consist of three components, supported by a minimum of two expert academic supervisors:
Research & thesis
You will undertake research that will inform both your practical work and your thesis.
Based on your research and the subsequent creative work, an accompanying critical component of more than 35,000 words must be completed that can take the form of either of these options or a combination of both:
- a scholarly thesis which comments directly on the creative work in terms of its stylistic, theoretical and literary influences; and/or
- an independent but complementary work of scholarly research on a topic relevant to the research objectives of the creative work.
Practical (creative work) component
You will create a body of creative work of not less than 35,000 words in the form of one or more of the following:
- a novel;
- a group of short stories;
- a work of creative non-fiction;
- a play or group of plays;
- a sequence of poems (book length, approximately 100 pages); or
- a portfolio of works of various genres.
The total word count of the two written components should not exceed 80,000 words.
As well as the research and practical components, you will also complete a series of professional development activities relevant to your chosen research focus. These activities are designed to provide you with the skills needed to develop your professional skills to support you in your future career.
Visit the Faculty of Arts Graduate Research Website.