Environmental science - XM0091
Environmental sciencePrint & Share
Environmental science deals with the rapidly changing environmental issues facing the world today. It provides you with a multidisciplinary perspective on current environmental challenges, such as climate change, water and land management, resource use and sustainability.
Studies in this major have wide-reaching applications in society and can contribute to the following: protecting and managing biodiversity; developing new approaches to environmental issues that contribute to a healthier society; identifying and developing cleaner and more sustainable resources for use in industry; and improving the management of natural or cultural areas of importance.
You will be equipped with the capability to seek, measure, understand and apply scientific information for the management of our natural systems in a broad scientific context.
As a science graduate with an extended major in Environmental science you will have diverse and rewarding career options, including the following:
- Science or management roles for non-government organisations (NGOs) such as Landcare Australia
- Environmental consultancy
- Research for organisations such as the Arthur Rylah Institute for Environmental Research, the Commonwealth Scientific Industrial and Research Organisation (CSIRO), or universities
- Developing policy for government agencies such as the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)
- Roles that help manage the environmental footprint of local government, industry, or mining or engineering companies
This area of study is offered in the following courses or can be taken where you have 8 free electives. To see if you can take this area of study within a double degree select from the course offering below.
- Commerce and Science
- Education and Science
- Engineering and Science
- Information Technology and Science
- Laws and Science
- Science Advanced - Global Challenges
- Science Advanced - Research
- Science and Arts
- Science and Biomedical Science
- Science and Computer Science
- Science and Global Studies
- Science and Music
Outside the box
Faculty of Science Dean and Head of the Eliminate Dengue international research program, Scott O'Neill is used to thinking outside the box: from using art to stimulate creative thinking at work, to leading innovative health research aimed at reducing the global burden of dengue fever.