Monash Community Leaders Scholarship
Part of the Sir John Monash Scholarship Program
Are you interested in mentoring students from under-represented high schools? The Monash Community Leaders Scholarship recognises excellence for those participating in the Access Monash Mentoring Program. You will have the opportunity to develop your leadership, public speaking and teamwork skills, while being a mentor to high school students.
This scholarship is available to commencing students with an ATAR of 85.00+ and current students with a minimum Weighted Average Mark of 65. As the Community Leaders Scholarship is designed to support students who may not otherwise be able to participate in volunteering, preference will be given to students from underrepresented communities.
Monash has increased the number of these scholarships available thanks to the generous donations from Alumni and supporters of the University through the Achieving Potential fund.
1 August - 31 October 2018
Total scholarship value
$4000 for one year only
300+ per year
Am I eligible?
You must be one of the following:
- An Australian citizen
- A New Zealand citizen
- Australian permanent resident
- Australian humanitarian visa holder
You must meet the following criteria:
- Commencing or continuing student who has completed VCE or equivalent in Australia, and
- Intending to enrol in a full-time undergraduate degree at Monash, and
- Selected to be an Access Monash Mentor
- Demonstration of your commitment to making a difference to others through leadership and community involvement, by demonstrating involvement in school and community activities, leadership , motivation , enthusiasm and commitment to higher education.
- For commencing students, must achieve ATAR score of 85.00 or continuing students who have completed at least 2 semesters of study and have a Weighted Average Mark of 65%.
- $4000 for one year only (you can apply again each year)
- Develop your leadership, public speaking and teamwork skills
- Participate in leadership and networking opportunities with senior Monash staff, alumni and community leaders
- 300+ scholarships available per year.
This scholarship is awarded based on academic achievement, Access Monash Mentor application and interview performance.
Preference will be given to students from under-represented communities and those who can provide face-to-face mentoring at Access Monash partner schools in Melbourne’s south-eastern suburbs.
To retain this scholarship:
- You must maintain full-time enrolment and fulfil the requirements of the Access Monash Mentor role.
How to apply
- To be considered for this scholarship, you need to apply to become an Access Monash Mentor by 31 October.
- Shortlisted candidates will be interviewed between 17 November and 1 December
- This scholarship cannot be deferred
Every scholarship may have a different application process – or none at all. Read the application details carefully and submit your application by the deadline. For more details, visit our scholarships application page.