At the instigation of Professor of Visual Arts Patrick McCaughey, the Martins, the painter Peggy Shaw and others worked towards a more permanent gallery space for the Monash University Collection. The new gallery was built as part of the Multidisciplinary Centre designed by Daryl Jackson and unveiled in 1987. It was the first to be purpose-built for an Australian university.
Subsequent vice-chancellors have ensured the Monash University collection has grown to over 1800 works, prioritising modern, eclectic and experimental artworks. The Collection includes a diverse range of media, including paintings, sculptures, photographs, videos, installation and new media.