The fourth Chancellor
Monash’s fourth Chancellor, George Herman Lush, was a scholar from the start. Educated at Melbourne’s Carey Grammar School, he was both school captain and dux. He studied Law at the University of Melbourne and joined the Melbourne Bar in 1935, before joining the armed forces during World War II. Following his service in the Middle East and New Guinea, he returned to his practice in 1946. Sir George contributed greatly to legal society, serving as chairman of the Victorian Bar Council, president of the Australian Bar Association, lecturing in mercantile law at the University of Melbourne, and as a Justice of the Supreme Court from 1966 until 1983. His association with Monash had begun many years earlier and he was a member of the University Council from 1969-74. In 1983 he was appointed Chancellor of Monash University.
Sir George’s Chancellorship coincided with the turbulence of the 1980s. Monash was adjusting to changing government policy for universities. Decisions about the mergers were being made, and there was much opposition amongst the university community. Sir George brought his intelligence, humour and reason to the negotiations, and his contributions helped bring about constructive resolutions.
Sir George received a knighthood in 1979 for services to the Law. In 1993, Monash conferred on him an Honorary Doctor of Laws. He died in 2000 and was survived by his wife, Lady Betty Lush, and their three daughters.