About the program
Complex problems are challenging to solve. As the world becomes more interconnected, and public problems get trickier to address, those responsible need data and tools to make effective decisions and implement enduring change.
That's where Artificial Intelligence can help.
We're working to help decision-makers tackle complex public problems by using AI in innovative and new ways. We're building AI tools that analyse data and generate actionable insights, so decision-makers can make evidence-informed decisions and support the achievement of sustainable development. At the same time, we'll be undertaking social and policy research to ensure our AI solutions meet the needs of decision-makers.
By developing AI approaches that shift monitoring from low technology, human-resource intensive, data collection to a faster, more comprehensive, accurate, predictive and transformative system, we aim to address the limitations of conventional approaches. These solutions will provide:
- Shorter timeframes between data collection, analysis, and availability.
- More accurate, consistent and complete data to inform decision-making.
- Capacity to (dis)aggregate or transpose data to different scales or geographies.
- Advanced data analytics (enabling reduced complexity and forecasting).
- Improved AI design and interface functionality through deep understanding of the decision-making environments where AI-enabled evidence may be used.
We apply the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) as an organising framework to inform the outcomes of our work. The SDGs cover many aspects of public decision portfolios including economic, social and environmental areas. Our long-term vision is to build AI tools that can monitor and support forecasting and analytics across all policy areas within Australia and elsewhere.