Monash websites terms and conditions
1. When do these Website Terms and Conditions apply?
These apply to information (including personal data) that is collected through the use of Monash websites. We are committed to protecting the integrity of your personal data and safeguarding your privacy. These Website Terms and Conditions are to be read in conjunction with the Monash University Data Protection and Privacy Procedure, which provides detail on how we process your personal data and how you may exercise rights in relation to the processing of such data.
Any personal data you provide online will be used by Monash University for the purpose for which it was provided. Such uses may include matters related to student administration, provision of services and the dissemination of information to staff prospective and current students and for remaining in contact with graduates.
2. What types of information might we collect through your use of Monash websites?
Information automatically collected
A cookie is a small message given to your web browser by our web server. The browser stores the message in a text file and the message is then sent back to the server each time the browser requests a page from the server. It is possible to disable the acceptance of cookies by your web browser at any time. However, doing so may restrict your ability to access some web pages.
We use the following types of cookies (which you can customise in accordance with Cookies Consent):
- Essential cookies: these cookies are required for our website to operate correctly, and are therefore always turned on. They include, for example, cookies that enable you to navigate the website and access to secure areas of the website. If you do not accept essential cookies, our website may not function properly.
- Performance and analytical cookies: these cookies allow us to analyse non-personal data about how you and other visitors use our website to measure how it’s performing so we can constantly improve it. These cookies are shared with third party providers, but no personal data is included.
- Preference and personalisation cookies: these cookies allow us to use information about the pages you visit on our website and the content you interact with to constantly improve your experience with Monash. These cookies allow us to understand what information you’re interested in so we can show you more relevant content.
- Advertising cookies: these cookies allow us to use information about the pages you visit on our website and the content you interact with to show you more relevant information when we advertise. For example, we might show you ads related to a course you are interested in. Advertising cookies are shared with third party providers, but no personal data is included.
You can always withdraw your consent to cookies at any time by changing your preferences.
Information you voluntarily provide
Information that you voluntarily provide through the Monash websites may be collected through various means, including through the use of online forms (e.g. enrolment and registration forms), online surveys, payment facilities, online collaborative spaces and through alternative contact points (such as social media platforms). If you are not a Monash student or a Monash employee and you send us a message, the University will record your e-mail address.
If personal data is collected through the Monash websites, every effort will be made to ensure that this is done by a sufficiently secure means.
3. What security measures are in place on Monash websites?
Monash websites have security measures in place against the loss, misuse and alteration of information as defined in the University's IT Security Policy .
A login name and password are required to visit secure areas. Before personal data (such as examination results) is published on the site, visitors are required to enter their student or staff number as well. This is to ensure that the information is displayed only to the intended person. You should ensure that your password is kept securely and cannot be discovered by anyone else.
Some Monash websites may have chat rooms, forums, on-line teaching environments, message boards and or/news groups available to their users. Please remember that any information that is disclosed in these areas becomes public information and you should exercise caution when deciding to disclose your personal data.
Some Monash websites contain links to other sites. The University is not responsible for the privacy practices or the content of such websites.
4. Who can I contact if I have any questions?
If you have any questions or concerns about how your personal data is being collected through Monash websites, please visit the University’s Data Protection and Privacy Office website or contact the University’s Data Protection and Privacy Office by email email@example.com.