Who we are
Who we are
Monash is a modern, global, research-intensive university, delivering education and research excellence in Australia and across the Indo-Pacific.
We’re making a positive impact on today's global challenges – whether that’s by mitigating climate change, easing geopolitical insecurity or fostering healthy communities.
Read more - Monash at a Glance
Our impact and focus
Monash has a 60-year history of making a global impact through our outstanding research, diversity, breadth of alumni, partnerships and connections that result in new solutions and better outcomes. We do this with a global mindset that comes to life through our global locations. Learn more about some of our recent notable achievements.
Climate change threatens the fabric of our planet – the quality of air, water and biodiversity that sustains us. Addressing the challenges and mitigating the consequences of climate change is an urgent priority and core focus for Monash.
Through research, advocacy and leadership, we’re shaping the agenda on how to achieve security and safety on a global scale.
We’re taking a truly multi-disciplinary and society-wide approach to foster communities that thrive, with programs that drive positive health, economic, social and cultural outcomes both locally and globally.
Education and research is at the heart of what we do – and both are celebrated and recognised for their excellence. For more than 60 years our future oriented education and research is, and continues to be recognised amongst the best in the world. This is why we are able to address, impact and change the course of the great challenges of our times – locally, nationally and globally.
We offer comprehensive study options - in undergraduate - including a myriad of double degrees - (a combination of two courses), graduate studies and professional development - no matter where you are in your career and learning journey. Monash courses have research and international experiences embedded, and the opportunity to witness, learn and participate in entrepreneurial endeavours and be part of research discovery or application from undergraduate onwards. No matter how you engage and learn at Monash you will develop a perspective that crosses fields of knowledge and cultures - and we call that the Monash difference.
- #1 in Australia, Reuters' Most Innovative Universities in Asia-Pacific (2019)
- #18 in the world, Times Higher Education Impact Rankings (2021)
- #48 US News and World Report (2021)
- #57 in the world, Times Higher Education World University Rankings (2022)
- Undergraduate student retention rate of 94 per cent and 87.4 per cent employer satisfaction with graduates (2019)
- #66 in the world, QS Graduate Employability Rankings (2020)
- The Global Immersion Guarantee, a funded overseas study program for first year Monash Arts students, awarded Best Practice in International Education by International Educational Association of Australia IEAA (2020)
We have a network of campuses covering the Indo-pacific and into Europe, and partnerships globally, including with many UK and US institutions. This is underpinned by the way we always think internationally and address the global challenges of our age. Diversity and inclusion are core to our values. Each campus is a global community in itself.
Together with our alumni who span the globe, our transcontinental community creates a mix of people and ideas to create education, research collaborations, networks, commercial opportunities and engagement that is truly global - like minded students and partners seek us out. This means our perspective is wide, our minds remain open and we can engage with challenges and opportunities to change communities locally, nationally and globally.
Our global reach
- Campuses and teaching centres in Australia, Malaysia, China, India, Indonesia and Italy
- 100+ partner universities for student exchange including: University of Warwick, UK; Indian Institute of Technology, Bombay (IITB), India; Tata Institute of Social Sciences (TISS), India; Tel Aviv University, Israel; Osaka University, Japan; Utrecht University, Netherlands; Free University of Berlin, Germany; and Seoul National University, South Korea; Pennsylvania State University, USA; and Southeast University, China
- 1601 active agreements spanning international academic partners, industry partners and research grants
- The Global Immersion Guarantee, a funded overseas study program for first year Monash Arts students, awarded Best Practice in International Education by IEAA (2020)
Think enterprising and you think Monash. We have a long and proud distinguished history of ground breaking translational research, that together with our partners, has changed the world. The enviable list includes IVF, Monash FODMAP diet, development of rapid blood tests to diagnose COVID 19 and in the energy field the paradigm changing development of green ammonia for energy storage - just to name a few.
Our research results in commercial success because of our world leading research, research platforms, and engagement with world leading partners to create these opportunities. Many successes seem to happen overnight and some are many years in the making.
Partners choose to be based on or near, our campuses to be at the forefront of opportunity. Formed in partnership with the Victorian government, this is known as the Monash Technology Precinct.
In addition to commercial success, start-ups are nurtured, entrepreneurialism is encouraged and students gain valuable learning and professional experience and talent pools are cultivated for future workforces.
Our research and partnerships
- 150+ active fields of research supported by 30+ research platforms encouraging research translation and commercialisation.
- The Monash Technology Precinct contributes $9.4 billion annually to the Victorian economy. The Precinct hosts a number of hubs and cluster.
- A significant area of expertise is the Monash Health Translation Hub boasting partners including the Victorian Heart Hospital, Monash Health, The Alfred Hospital, Peninsula Health. Another cluster is the Monash Smart Manufacturing Hub and we are very proud that this includes major industry partnerships with Engie and the Woodside Monash Energy Partnership.
- Monash University reported a research income of $539.3 million in 2020. (Based on income reported to Higher Education Research Data Collection (HERDC)).
- Our accelerator program ‘The Generator’ develops student and alumni entrepreneurial talent, and since 2017, we've had 1,141 participants fully complete one of the four programs and supported 455 startup projects through these programs.
How Monash responds to the greatest challenges of our time is deepened and enriched because of the contributions of our diverse community. We value this so much, we have policy and practices in place so that it can grow and be truly inclusive.
In our quest to seek talented staff and students to make the most valuable impacts; we provide educational opportunities to those who may not have it available, support research that needs to be undertaken, and undertake work to improve economic, social and justice outcomes for all. We do this to advance our communities. We will continue to forge pathways so that we can create abundant opportunities.
Our community includes:
- 85,924 current students:
- Caulfield (7186 - domestic, 11,310 - international)
- Clayton (27,204 - domestic, 15,273 - international)
- Malaysia (6792 - domestic, 2407 - international)
- Parkville (1463 - domestic, 568 - international)
- Peninsula (2953 - domestic, 1338 - international)
- 55,117 of our students are undergraduate, 25,143 are postgraduate and 5185 are research
- An active alumni community of 420,000 across 160 countries
- 16,667 academic and professional staff of which 9651 are female, 7006 are male and 10 are gender diverse.
- 293 Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students.
Figures quoted based on 2020 statistics. Domestic and international student figures do not include online students, non-campus teaching locations and teach-outs at former campuses.
A proud history
When our first students began their studies at our foundation campus in Clayton in 1961, we became the first university established in the state of Victoria in over 100 years. From a single campus with fewer than 400 students, Monash has grown into a network of campuses, education centres and partnerships spanning the globe.
Explore the Monash timeline
Monash has been breaking new ground for more than 60 years. Discover our diverse and colourful history.
Who was Sir John Monash?
We’re named after Sir John Monash – an engineer, military leader, and public administrator who contributed to almost every level of Australian life. We’re guided by our motto, Ancora Imparo (“I am still learning”), which sums up his approach to life and our dedication to lifelong learning.