Support for carers

We recognise the contribution that carers make to the community and the importance of supporting carers in their roles. We support staff with caregiving commitment to balance work commitments with their carer role.

Who are carers?

The Victorian Carers Recognition Act defines a carer as someone who provides care to another person, including:

  • a person who is aged and frail,
  • a person with a disability,
  • a person with mental illness,
  • a person with an ongoing medical condition.

Entitlements for carers

Carers leave

Eligible Monash staff can access paid carer’s leave to provide care to a family member as outlined in the carers leave procedure.

Workplace flexibility

Eligible staff can request flexible work arrangements, such as part-time work, working from home and job-sharing. See workplace flexibility for parents and carers for more information.

Family violence leave

Access to Monash University Family Violence Leave is also available to staff who are providing care or support to a family member who is experiencing family violence.

Wellbeing support

Monash staff can access counselling through the Monash Health Service. Staff and their immediate family members, including carers, can access free support services through the University's Employee Assistance Program (EAP).

EAP is a professional support service that offers confidential, short-term support for a variety of work-related and personal problems that may be affecting you at work or at home, including:

  • Interpersonal conflict and tension
  • Work-related stress
  • Changes in your work environment
  • Harassment and grievances
  • Relationship or family matters
  • Personal and emotional stress
  • Grief and bereavement
  • Career issues
  • Mental health concerns
  • Personal crisis or trauma
  • Dietary advice