Equity, Diversity and Inclusion Committee
The Equity, Diversity and Inclusion Committee is an advisory committee reporting to the Vice-Chancellor’s Executive Committee. The committee is charged with setting the University’s diversity and inclusion agenda.
Terms of reference
The Committee will:
- Identify the University priorities and objectives to advance Monash’s equity, diversity and inclusion agenda.
- Oversee the development and implementation of Monash’s equity, diversity and inclusion framework and action plans and ensure alignment with broader organisational strategy.
- Monitor University performance on a range of equity, diversity and inclusion measures with specific focus on measures related to identified priority areas.
- Act as a reference group and make recommendations on relevant initiatives, policies and procedures.
- Provide advice on reporting to government agencies and on submissions for accreditation and benchmarking.
- Provide advice on the development of institutional responses to relevant policy and strategic initiatives taken by government and other external bodies.
- Commission and receive reports relating to diversity, inclusion, access and equity with specific focus on identified priority areas.
- Convene sub-committees and working groups to progress business associated with priority areas.
The committee will meet four times per year or as required
The following shall be ex officio members of the committee:
- President and Vice-Chancellor (Co-Chair)
- Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Education) and Vice-President (Co-Chair)
- Provost or nominee
- Chief Operating Officer or nominee
- Chief Human Resources Officer
- Executive Director, Campus Community Division
- Pro Vice-Chancellor (Indigenous)
- Manager, Staff Equity and Diversity
- Academic Director, Student Experience
- Monash Graduate Association nominee
- President of the campus-based student association (annual rotation between Monash Student Association, MONSU Caulfield, MONSU Peninsula )
- Subcommittee Chairs (Athena SWAN Steering Committee;, Diverse Genders, Sexes and Sexualities Advisory Group; HEPPP Network)
- Executive Officer
At the second meeting of the calendar year the Dean of each faculty (or their nominee) will be invited to an annual expanded meeting for the purpose of sharing progress, communicating priorities and providing updates.
The Committee may co-opt members as required, and guests to attend by invitation as appropriate.
To maintain contemporality the Terms of Reference and membership will be reviewed at the last meeting of each calendar year. The quorum for the meetings of the committee is one third of the membership taken to the nearest whole number.
The following committees and advisory groups report to the Equity, Diversity and Inclusion Committee:
Monitoring and Review
The Committee’s Terms of Reference, including Committee members, will be subject to annual review. The quorum for the meetings of the committee is one third of the membership taken to the nearest whole number.
In 2022, following the development of the new Equity, Diversity & Inclusion Framework, the Committee’s Terms of Reference will be reviewed again to ensure alignment with the new strategic focus.
Meeting dates for 2022
|Meeting 1||28 April 3.00pm - 5.00pm|
16 June 3.00pm - 5.00pm
8 September 3.00pm - 5.00pm
24 November 2.00pm - 4.00pm
Professor Sharon Pickering
Phone: (+61 3) 9905 3468
Phone: (+61 3) 9905 9088