Equity, Diversity and Inclusion Committee
The Equity, Diversity and Inclusion Committee is an advisory committee reporting to the Vice-Chancellor’s Executive Committee. The committee is charged with setting the University’s equity, diversity and inclusion agenda.
Terms of reference
The Committee will:
- Support University approaches to equity, diversity and inclusion are committed to and informed by recognition and respect for Indigenous Peoples, cultures and knowledges.
- Oversee the development, implementation and ongoing enhancement of Monash’s Equity, Diversity and Inclusion Framework 2022 - 2030 and supporting Enabling Plan.
- Monitor and evaluate performance on achieving aims and objectives related to equity, diversity and inclusion with specific focus on intersectional data collection and analysis.
- Commission and receive reports, and support projects and activities, relating to equity, diversity and inclusion with specific focus on the Framework’s goals:
- Strong collaborative partnerships across the University.
- Enhanced community knowledge to support equity, diversity and inclusion.
- A diverse community at all levels of the organisation.
- Dismantled barriers through structural change.
- Enhanced intersectional data, reporting and evaluation.
- Act as a reference group by making recommendations on relevant initiatives, policies and procedures.
- Provide advice on reporting to government agencies and on submissions for accreditation and benchmarking.
- Provide advice on the development of institutional responses to relevant policy and strategic initiatives taken by government and other external bodies.
- Convene sub-groups to progress specified areas of action with clearly identified goals.
The Framework and Enabling Plan are overseen by the Equity, Diversity and Inclusion Committee and annual updates are provided into VCEC.
The Equity, Diversity and Inclusion Committee has eight permanent sub-Committees:
- Respect at Monash Advisory Committee;
- Monash University Malaysia Equity, Diversity and Inclusion Committee; and
- Faculty Equity, Diversity and Inclusion Committees.
As required, the Equity, Diversity and Inclusion Committee may establish sub-Groups to target particular identified areas of focus. The Equity, Diversity and Inclusion Committee will appoint a chair and endorse terms of reference for relevant sub-Groups. The Chairs of sub-Groups will provide a standing update at Equity, Diversity and Inclusion Committee meetings. The Equity, Diversity and Inclusion Committee will annually review the ongoing need for established sub-Groups.
The committee will meet four times per year or as required
The following shall be members of the committee:
- Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Education) and Senior Vice-President (Chair)
- Provost or nominee
- Pro Vice-Chancellor (Indigenous) or nominee
- Dean, Faculty of Art Design and Architecture or nominee
- Dean, Faculty of Arts or nominee
- Dean, Faculty of Business and Economics or nominee
- Dean, Faculty of Education or nominee
- Dean, Faculty of Engineering or nominee
- Dean, Faculty of Information Technology or nominee
- Dean, Faculty of Law or nominee
- Dean, Faculty of Medicine, Nursing and Health Sciences or nominee
- Dean, Faculty of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences or nominee
- Dean, Faculty of Science or nominee
- President, Monash University, Indonesia or nominee
- Director, Staff Equity & Diversity, Monash HR
- Vice President (Education) Monash University Malaysia or nominee
- Chief Digital and Student Services Officer or nominee
- Chair, Athena Swan Steering Group
- Chair, LGBTIQA+ Advisory Group
- Chair, Accessibility, Disability and Carers Advisory Group
- Chair, Anti-Racism Advisory Group
- Chief Human Resources Officer or nominee
- Executive Director, Campus Community Division or nominee
- President, MONSU Caulfield or nominee
- President, Monash Student Association or nominee
- President, Monash Parkville Student Union or nominee
- President, Monash Graduate Association or nominee
- President, MONSU Peninsula or nominee
- Director, Equity Diversity & Inclusion (Executive Officer)
The Committee will co-opt members as required, and will invite additional persons to attend each meeting with relevant academic and or lived experience expertise.
The following sub-committees and groups report to the Equity, Diversity and Inclusion Committee through tabling of minutes at each meeting, and attendance of Chairs at first meeting of calendar year to present on groups’ achievements:
- Athena Swan Steering Group
- LGBTIQA+ Advisory Group
- Anti-Racism Project Group
- Disability Project Group.
Monitoring and Review
The Committee’s Terms of Reference, including Committee members, will be subject to annual review. The quorum for the meetings of the committee is one third of the membership taken to the nearest whole number.
Meeting dates for 2023
|Meeting 1||Tuesday 14 February 2023, 9:30am – 2:30pm|
Tuesday 16 May 2023, 3:00pm – 4:30pm
Thursday 10 August 2023, 9:30am – 4:00pm
Thursday 30 November 2023, 3:00pm – 4:30pm
Professor Sharon Pickering
Phone: (+61 3) 9905 3468
Phone: (+61 3) 9905 9088