Respect at Monash Committee
Established in 2017, the Respect at Monash Committee (formerly known as the Respect.Now.Always. Advisory Committee) is responsible for overseeing the University’s commitment to the prevention of sexual harassment, sexual assault and gender-based violence on-campus for students and staff. The Committee reports into the University’s Equity, Diversity and Inclusion Committee.
Terms of reference
The Committee shall:
- Develop, monitor and evaluate strategies implemented by the University towards the elimination and prevention of sexual harassment, sexual assault and gender-based violence in our campuses, workplaces and delivery locations.
- Consult with broader stakeholders from the University community, and where relevant, seek independent expertise to inform the development of strategies and initiatives aimed at eliminating and preventing sexual harassment, sexual assault and gender-based violence.
- Work closely with the University’s affiliated college and offshore campuses to ensure a whole-of-community approach and commitment to the elimination and prevention of sexual harassment, sexual assault and gender-based violence.
- Publicly report on the University’s prevention initiatives, as well as publishing annually the reports the University has received of an alleged sexual offence (subject to legal constraints).
- Provide regular updates to the President and Vice-Chancellor, and seek guidance and advice where appropriate, on all strategies, initiatives, policies, procedures and guidelines developed and implemented to monitor, respond to and reduce the prevalence of sexual assault, sexual harassment and gender-based violence.
- Conduct themselves with integrity, respect, and in line with the values and ethos of Monash University.
- Participate in regular meetings, and in the completion of actions arising where required.
The committee will meet three times per year or as required.
The following are members of the committee:
- Acting Provost and Senior Vice-President (Chair)
- Executive Director, Campus Community Division or nominee
- Pro Vice-Chancellor (Major Campuses and Student Engagement) or nominee
- Pro Vice-Chancellor and President (Malaysia) or nominee
- Chief Operating Officer, Monash University Indonesia or nominee
- Pro Vice-Chancellor (Research Training) or nominee
- Pro Vice-Chancellor (Prato Centre and Global Network Development) and Associate Dean (International) or nominee
- Chief of Staff and Director, Office of the Vice-Chancellor and President or nominee
- Chief Human Resources Officer or nominee
- Chief of Staff and Director, Student Conduct and Complaints, Office of the Chief Operating Officer and Senior Vice-President
- General Counsel or nominee
- Director, Legal Services (Disputes and Administrative Law)
- Director, Monash Residential Services
- Director, Counselling and Mental Health Programs
- Director, Equity Diversity and Inclusion
- Principal, Mannix College
- Chief Executive Officer, Monash College
- Student President, Monash Postgraduate Association
- Student President, MONSU Caulfield
- Student President, Monash Student Association
- Student President, MONSU Peninsula
- Student President, Monash Parkville Student Union
- Academic expert
- Independent nominee – SECASA
- Manager, Respectful Communities (Executive Officer)
The Committee may co-opt members as required, and guests to attend by invitation as appropriate.
Monitoring and Review
To maintain contemporality the Terms of Reference and membership will be reviewed at the last meeting of each calendar year. The quorum for the meetings of the committee is one third of the membership taken to the nearest whole number.
Meeting dates for 2023
|Meeting 1||Tuesday 14 March 2023, 3:00pm – 4:30pm|
|Meeting 2||Tuesday 27 June 2023, 2:30pm – 4:00pm|
|Meeting 3||Tuesday 7 November 2023, 3:00pm – 4:30pm|
Professor Sharon Pickering
Phone: (+61 3) 9905 3468
Phone: (+61 3) 9903 2642