Del Borgo lab news
Behind every treatment that improves human health is a story of discovery. Every day we make new research discoveries and forge partnerships that have a global impact. Dr Del Borgo’s work has featured in many outlets. Here are some of the highlights:
Dr Del Borgo’s research
- Monash BDI scientists reveal structure of promising peptide fibre, October 2018, based on work published in ACS Nano.
We recently published on the introduction of functional motifs within a b-peptide scaffold for the growth and survival of primary neurons which was selected as the featured article and covered in the press. For the first time, we were able to show it is possible to attach self-assembling beta peptides onto different organic molecules. Published in the journal APL Bioengineering, our study shows that molecules that have previously posed challenges to bioengineers can now be used to make new kinds of biomaterials supporting the growth or nerve cells, potentially opening up new possibilities for patients who have experienced a stroke or traumatic brain injury.
- Bioengineers build better beta peptides, May 2018, LabOnline
- Researchers create a biomaterial that can be used to study the brain, May 2018, News-Medical and Life Sciences
- Building better beta peptides, May 2018, Science Daily
Recognition, awards and funding
- Novel stroke treatment project gains $250,000 grant, October 2018, Monash BDI News
- BioCurate project investments catalyst for drug development, August 2018, Monash BDI News and BioCurate News
- New drug delivery system for type 1 diabetes complications attracts JDRF grant, November 2017, Monash BDI News
Monash BDI news
With 700 researchers making incredible discoveries daily, Monash BDI has many success stories to share.