Bertram lab news
Behind every treatment that improves human health is a story of discovery. Every day we make new research discoveries and forge partnerships that have a global impact. Read about some of these here.
News and outreach highlights
Professor John Bertram has been featured in many outlets, here are a few highlights:
About Professor Bertram’s research:
- A study co-led by Monash BDI's Professor John Bertram, and Dr Go Kanzaki from the Jikei University School of Medicine in Tokyo, showed - for the first time - that Japanese people have significantly fewer nephrons, the tiny filtering units in kidneys, than most other races. The research, published in the Journal of Clinical Investigation Insight, supports a link between low nephron count and hypertension and also chronic kidney disease (CKD). One in eight people in Japan have CKD, the second highest rate of the disease in the world. These findings were covered across different media from IFLScience, Intellasia, Science Alert. October 2017.
Recognition, awards and funding:
- Monash BDI researchers honoured by Academy fellowships, Professor John Bertram is elected as Fellow of the Australian Academy of Health and Medical Sciences, Monash BDI News, October 2019
- 2018 Vice-Chancellor’s Education and Research Awards: Professor John Bertram is nominated for a Vice-Chancellor’s Education and Research Award, Monash BDI News, December 2018
- 2018 Dean’s Award for Excellence: Professor Bertram received the Dean’s Award for Excellence in Education (Honours Supervision) Monash BDI News, September 2018
- Recognising outstanding achievements and reflecting on 2018, Professor Bertram was nominated for the Monash BDI Innovation in Learning and Teaching Award (BMS2011), Monash BDI News, November 2018
Monash BDI news
With 700 researchers making incredible discoveries daily, Monash BDI has many success stories to share.