Present Objectives of the Centre
- CMSS aims to facilitate, promote and enhance research and research training in Stochastic Systems and Their Applications.
- To achieve these aims the Centre will host visitors (both short term and long term), conferences (both national and international), as well as seminars.
- Play a role in attracting grants, both national and international.
- Play a role in attracting HDR students, both national and international.
- Play a role in the new Masters of Financial Mathematics.
Current projects include:
- Polymerase chain reaction (PCR)
- Cell motility
- Eph/Ephrin interactions
- Cancer research
- A health and ageing integrated model, Health in Older Populations - an Evaluation (HOPE)
- Measure-valued population modelling
- Alternative models in biology and finance
- Processes with long memory
- Preferential attachment
- Planar Brownian motion and complex analysis
- Distance-regular Graphs
- Electrical resistance and random walk
- Distance-regular graphs
- Stochastic modelling of gene network
- Bayesian computation for biological networks
- Mathematical modelling of stock networks
- Identification on non-coding RNAs (ncRNAs) contributing to muscle development and disease
- Markov chain Monte Carlo approaches to inferring networks
- Identifying signalling network perturbations involved in tumour drug resistance
- Adaptive Markov chain Monte Carlo methods for multi-modal distributions
- Bayesian inference for ODE models
- Change-point analysis for ARMA models
- Bayesian agent-based modelling of the Brisbane fire ant invasion
- Bayesian agent-based models in epidemiology (malarial drug resistance, ebola)
- Discrete models in statistical mechanics
- Finite-size scaling of high-dimensional models in discrete statistical mechanics
- Mixing times of finite Markov chains
- Limit laws for the running time of coupling from the past
The purpose of the centre is to develop new theoretical models so that scientists can use them in applications. In order to achieve this, collaborations with biologists and scientists is essential.