Polo lab news
Behind every treatment that improves human health is a story of discovery. Every day we make new research discoveries and forge partnerships that have a global impact. Read about some of these here.
Professor José Polo is willing and available to speak with the media about his field of expertise.
News and outreach highlights
Media highlights include:
- Read more than 15 press releases from the Polo Lab on the Monash BDI News page
- Read summaries of significant media coverage stemming from the Polo Lab on the Monash BDI In the press page
Cell Mogrify Ltd
- Transforming Cell Therapy, March 2019, Monash BDI News
- Monash researchers start company to reprogram human cells, November 2016, Stem Cells Australia
- Monash biomed clocks fast result, November 16 2016, The Australian (subscriber access required)
- Research papers shed light on decade-long stem cell mystery, December 2017, PhysOrg
- Suite of Monash papers shed light on decade-long stem cell mystery, December 2017, Scimex
- Stem cell reprogramming mystery clarified by new findings, December 2017, Scimex
- New program takes stem out of stem cells, January 19 2016, The Weekend Australian
- Molecular road map gives cell research a new direction, May 19 2013, Sydney Morning Herald
2018 Future Fellowship (Australian Research Council)
2017 Vice-Chancellor award for Gender Diversity as founder member of the Faculty of Medicine’s Gender Equity Committee
- Sylvia and Charles Viertel Senior Medical Research Fellowship
- Metcalf Award from the National Stem Cell Foundation of Australia
- Vice-Chancellor award for Excellence in Research (Early Career)
- Invited as one of eight promising early career scientist (from all scientific disciplines across the world) of the Future Leaders program of the Science and Technology in Society Forum in Kyoto. Invitees to this meeting include: Nobel awardees, Prime Ministers, Deans and Directors from the top universities globally and Institutes, Pharma, Banks, Energy companies, CEO/CSO, etc.
- Deans Award for Excellence in Research (Early Career), Faculty of Medicine, Monash University
2013 Victorian Young Tall Poppy Science Award
2012 Career Development Fellowship - NHRMC, Australia
2011 Larkins Fellowship - Monash University, Australia
2009 Postdoctoral Fellowship Award from the Massachusetts General Hospital (MGH) Fund for Medical Discovery
- Travel award from the American Society of Haematology, this is based on the quality of the submitted abstract
- Pre-doctoral Fellowship award from the National Cancer Centre
2004 Merit Award and Plenary Speaker from the American Society of Haematology. These are two of the most prestigious awards in the field.
Professor José Polo and Dr Anja Knaupp, a research fellow in the Polo lab, explain their research, using stem cells to advance our understanding of how the body develops and what happens during disease. Video courtesy of Stem Cells Australia
Monash BDI news
With 700 researchers making incredible discoveries daily, Monash BDI has many success stories to share.