REDCap is a secure, web-based application to create and manage research databases and/or participant surveys. It is developed to help researchers collect and manage sensitive data effectively and responsibly. REDCap's streamlined process for rapidly creating and designing projects offers a vast array of tools that can be tailored to virtually any data collection strategy.
REDCap provides automated export procedures for seamless data downloads to Excel and common statistical packages (SPSS, SAS, Stata, R), as well as a built-in project calendar, a scheduling module, adhoc reporting tools, and advanced features, such as branching logic, file uploading, and calculated fields.
Data collected through REDCap will be directly and permanently stored on infrastructure located in Australia and managed by Helix. Data stored on this infrastructure is backed up daily. All traffic between the data collector’s personal device, the web server(s), the database server(s), and the file server(s) is encrypted.
Key Features and Benefits
- Web-based access (on or off campus)
- Access for multi-site collaborations
- Fast and flexible to design
- Modifications can be done at anytime
- Ensures data consistency and accuracy at data entry
- Support data import and data extract
- Custom data extracts to CSV, R, Stata, and SPSS format
REDCap is provided as a university-subsidised service to enable researchers to create their own database.
Additional support for customisation is provided through a cost-recovery model to cover staff support time. See the “Customisation” section below for further details.
Monash REDCap is available to research projects having a Monash University researcher (with a valid @monash.edu email address) as a Principal Investigator (PI).
When the study has published manuscripts/artefacts, it must cite the use of REDCap such as below:
Study data was collected and managed using REDCap electronic data capture tool hosted and managed by Helix (Monash University).1,2 REDCap (Research Electronic Data Capture) is a secure, web-based software platform designed to support data capture for research studies, providing 1) an intuitive interface for validated data capture; 2) audit trails for tracking data manipulation and export procedures; 3) automated export procedures for seamless data downloads to common statistical packages; and 4) procedures for data integration and interoperability with external sources.
1PA Harris, R Taylor, R Thielke, J Payne, N Gonzalez, JG. Conde, Research electronic data capture (REDCap) – A metadata-driven methodology and workflow process for providing translational research informatics support, J Biomed Inform. 2009 Apr;42(2):377-81.
2PA Harris, R Taylor, BL Minor, V Elliott, M Fernandez, L O’Neal, L McLeod, G Delacqua, F Delacqua, J Kirby, SN Duda, REDCap Consortium, The REDCap consortium: Building an international community of software partners, J Biomed Inform. 2019 May 9 [doi: 10.1016/j.jbi.2019.103208]
Access and Log In
General Help and Support
- REDCap training videos can be accessed here
- Introduction to REDCap training, this is a monthly hands-on training and runs under Monash Data Fluency, please register your details through their mailing list to receive notification of the training.
- Monash REDCap User Group meeting, please register your details here, we will send you an invitation for the next meeting.
REDCap Customisation and support
Additional REDCap services provided by Helix:
- REDCap project design and consultation
- Automatic data import development from other sources into a REDCap project
- Automated REDCap Data extracts into a relational database for data analysis
- Data migration from MS Excel to a REDCap project
- Other REDCap project customisations
To discuss your requirements in detail, please email firstname.lastname@example.org