Learn Japanese and a New World Opens Project
The Monash Japanese Language Education Centre is committed to supporting Japanese language education at all levels in a variety of ways including Advocacy. Our latest endeavour to encourage students to take up and /or continue their Japanese language studies is the ‘Learn Japanese and a new world opens’ project. This project will showcase a number of easily accessible short videos of people who have used or are using Japanese language as part of their career, job, life or experiences. We aim to showcase a diverse group of people who have interacted with Japanese language in a range of ways.
Please share these with your students and the school community. If you know someone who would be suitable to be interviewed please email Anne de Kretser: Anne.Dekretser@monash.edu
Our list of interviewees:
- Mat Bowtell - Engineer and Prosthetic Limb Innovator
- Meri Joyce - Coordinator for Peace Boat
- Alex Yu - Consular Officer - Australian Embassy, Tokyo
- Kiri Falls - Newspaper Editor, Tokyo
- Jesse Tucek - New Colombo Plan Scholarship recipient
- Mark Cubit - Philanthropist
- Mark Lucas - General Manager JAL Aust & NZ
- Marty Friedman - Musician / Celebrity
- Alex McLeish - Lawyer
- Emerald King - University Lecturer
- Dr Cathy Sell - Research Assistant, Teaching Associate, Translator
- Sol Dasika - Graduate of a Tokyo University
- Levi Durbidge - Graduate Student
- Catriona McKenzie - Senior Publisher
- Kyle Koo - Senior Consultant - Accounting Firm, Tokyo
- Adam Wojcinski - Tea Ceremony Instructor, Translator and Artist
- Ginny Shiung - Copy Writer and Translator
Interview Series Snapshot
The Series Snapshot video features quotes and information about the value of Japanese language education from all 15 interviews featured above. Watch the video here.
Individual videos can be seen below.