Monash Secure eResearch Platform (SeRP) is a secure environment for sharing research data for collaboration and analysis, within the control and governance of the data custodian. Monash SeRP allows the Data custodian or the delegated project manager (Data Custodian) to have visibility and control over how their data is being used by other approved researchers.
Onboarding a project/registry is simple and straightforward. The project owner places a request to create a project. A consultant will then be in touch to discuss the requirements and create the project.
Once a project is established and a dataset uploaded, a Data Custodian can allocate controlled access to this dataset, provide computing power and approved analytical tools to approved researchers, manage the controls of the environment including restricting access to the internet, restricting the importing of other data, authorise all removals of data and audit the usage of data and compute resources.
Key Features and Benefits
- Secure remote access to your research data.
- Fully controlled environment
- Regularly updated software packages to assist you in your data analysis
- Accessible using most modern web browsers and mobile devices
- Hosted on NeCTAR Research Cloud (Local Monash Instance)
- Dedicated Support Website (Support and Knowledge Base, Researcher and Custodian Guidelines)
- Modules in development:
- Data Linkage
- Natural Language Processing
Data Custodian Features
- Secure and data custodian governed
- File in and File out approval process
- Customisable permission levels
- Dataset upload
- Customisable for each project
- Separate and dedicated storage (Project Drive and User Drive)
- Drives not accessible outside the secure remote desktop
- No Saving to Desktop
- No internet Access
Use of the Monash SeRP is subject to Monash University’s Information Technology Acceptable Use Policy and Information Technology Acceptable Use Procedure. Found here.
If you have any queries, please contact the Monash SeRP Helpdesk - firstname.lastname@example.org
Monash VPN - A VPN is a virtual private network which allows you to access Monash services. A VPN connection is compulsory while accessing the Safe Haven environment.
Monash utilises a VPN client called ‘CISCO AnyConnent’.
You can download CISCO AnyConnect using the instructions available at https://vpn.monash.edu or by My Software if you are on a Monash networked computer.
Detailed guidance about Cisco AnyConnect and the Monash Virtual Private Network (VPN) can be found at https://www.monash.edu/esolutions/network/vpn
If you have any difficulty downloading CISCO AnyConnect please enlist the assistance of Monash eSolutions on (03) 9905 1777 or email@example.com
Available analysis machines
The following computing options are available for analysis machines:
- 4-Core 2.6 GHz CPU, 8GB RAM, 1TB HDD (Small)
- 4-Core 2.6 GHz CPU, 16GB RAM, 1TB HDD (Medium)
- 4-Core 2.6 GHz CPU, 32GB RAM, 1TB HDD (Large)
Applications are delivered dynamically and are assigned to the user upon login.
Currently, the following applications are delivered dynamically:
- R Studio
- Microsoft Office applications
Additional applications can be installed upon request (subject to licencing).
Safe Haven Restrictions
- No internet access is available within the Safe Haven environment
- Application installation is disabled.