Uni life can be complicated at first, so this site will help make it a little easier to navigate your first semester at Monash. The weeks listed here represent the twelve teaching weeks of semester. Just start scrolling to browse topics to see important deadlines to help you manage your studies each week.
At Monash, we use a timetabling system called Allocate+. Allocate+ usually opens in two modes:
- Preference entry mode
- Allocation adjustment mode.
October intake students will only need to log into Allocate+ during Allocate adjustment mode.
Not applicable for October intake: During this time, you can nominate preferred times for all of your class activities such as lectures, tutorials, laboratories and practicals. It doesn’t matter how quickly you do this, as long as it's before the system closes. See Allocate+ features and functionality and how to enter your preferences.
Semester two teaching arrangements
- Semester two and associated teaching periods will continue online. We’ll provide an update when on-campus activities can resume as government restrictions allow.
- You'll need a permit if you need to leave home for permitted study. Some units in Medicine, Nursing and Health Sciences, Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences, and a small set in other faculties are exempt from lockdown, with on-campus teaching permitted.
- If you're doing a placement in an authorised setting, you'll also need to carry a permit – for example in hospitals. If you're one of these authorised students, you'll be:
- issued a permit by Monash Connect
- required to carry your permit and photo ID (such as your Monash ID card) when on campus and travelling for study. You can show your permit in electronic form to authorities - for example, a photo or scanned copy on your mobile device.
- Some teaching activities can only be accommodated on campus (particularly laboratories, studios and practical classes). Check your unit Moodle site for more details.
- Placements are at the discretion of the provider. Contact your placement coordinator to discuss.
- Study spaces for those who can’t study from home are available at Caulfield, Clayton (Matheson), Parkville and Peninsula libraries. See the library opening hours. You’ll need a permit and proof of your first vaccination to access library study spaces on campus. You can contact Monash Connect to request a permit, if you don’t already have one. Proof of first vaccination can be a paper copy or digital image on your phone or tablet – you’ll need to present proof when you enter the building. If you’re fully vaccinated, you can upload your proof of vaccination to the Service Victoria app.
- Apart from providing emergency study spaces, our libraries are closed temporarily and library services will instead be offered online.
On Monday 20 September at 10am, Allocate+ will open in adjustment mode for the October intake, so you can check your timetable for clashes and make changes if free timeslots are available. You also have the option of requesting a swap. The system works on a first-come, first-served basis during this time. See how to adjust your timetable.
Some courses have a set timetable, so some students don't have to add their class activities. You'll only be able to view the timetable, not change it – this applies to Parkville students.
Off-campus: you don't need to create a timetable if you're not attending classes.
Log into Allocate+ using your Monash username and password.
Help with creating your timetable
When you log in, your units will be listed on the left-hand side.
Each unit has activities underneath (lecture, tutorial, etc.). It's these activities that you need to allocate preferred class times.
Units with a green tick have been allocated for you by your faculty. Those with yellow have allocations pending approval. Units marked with red need to be allocated.
You need to choose each activity with a red status, and put your preferred class times in order of 1 (most preferred time) to least preferred. The system will tell you how many preferences you need to enter.
Near the top right of the screen you can switch between grid/calendar view and list view.
Don't forget to save your preferences before moving on to the next activity. Ensure all class activities for your units have been allocated. You get another chance to change your preferred times once the system sorts then reopens for the adjustment period.