The Faculty of IT's Equity, Diversity and Inclusion (EDI) Committee
The EDI Committee oversees our equity, diversity and inclusion strategy. Comprising academics, professional staff and students, it advocates for people of all genders, sexes, sexualities, socio-economic statuses, ethnicities, cultural and linguistic backgrounds, disabilities and medical conditions (including mental health).
Who the committee represents
The EDI Committee represents all facets of equity, diversity and inclusion, including staff and students:
- of diverse genders, sexes and sexualities
- from low socio-economic backgrounds
- with disabilities, ongoing medical or mental health conditions
- from ethnically, culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds.
Terms of reference
- Identify Faculty priorities and objectives to advance Monash’s EDI agenda, particularly as it relates to the information technology and computing science disciplines.
- Inform the development and implementation of the Faculty’s EDI strategy and ensure alignment with broader organisational strategy (including Athena Swan initiative) and other Monash STEMM faculties.
- Determine performance measures for EDI and monitor Faculty performance on a range of EDI measures with specific focus on measures related to identified priority areas.
- Act as a reference group to receive and make recommendations to the Faculty Executive Committee on relevant initiatives, policies and procedures.
- Support the promotion of the Faculty’s EDI agenda across and beyond the Faculty and facilitate collaboration on STEMM-related EDI issues across the university.
- Commission and receive reports relating to EDI with specific focus on identified priority areas.
- Convene sub-committees and working groups to progress business associated with priority areas.
The diversity of Committee members aims to reflect the diversity of the Faculty. Academic representatives are selected from different departments, where feasible.
Nominated members of the Committee:
- Deputy Chair (nominated from membership and appointed by the Associate Dean, Equity, Diversity and Inclusion)
- FIT Postgraduate representative
- FIT Undergraduate representative
- FIT Athena SWAN Steering Committee member
- FIT Academic staff representatives (3-4)
- FIT Sessional staff member
- FIT Professional staff representative
Nominated members serve on the Committee for 2 years, but can renominate for a further term. A call for expressions of interest is sent to the Faculty for staff representation. As part of the Governance process, an email is sent for student representation on Faculty committees. The Chair appoints members from expressions of interest, keeping in mind diversity of membership.
Ex officio members of the Committee:
- Associate Dean, Equity, Diversity and Inclusion (Chair)
- Senior HR Business Partner, FIT
- Manager, Marketing and Communications, FIT
- Manager, Student and Academic Services, FIT
The Committee may co-opt members as required. Other people to attend by invitation as appropriate.
The Committee meets every six weeks or as required. Committee members also work on issues/ agenda items between meetings.
Sub-committees and working groups are created and terminated by the Committee as required, and report to the Committee.
Executive Officer, provided by the FIT Governance team.
Monitoring and review
The Committee’s Terms of Reference are subject to annual review.