Human Rights 2018
The Annual Castan Centre for Human Rights Law Conference
Date: Friday 20 July 2018
Time: 9.00am - 5.00pm
Venue: The Edge, Federation Square, Corner Swanston and Flinders Street, Melbourne
We welcome Burmese human rights activist Habiburahman to our exciting list of conference speakers. Habiburahman, widely known as Habib, spent 10 years in Malaysia, including in various Malaysian detention centres, and worked with Burmese political exile groups there, including the Myanmar Ethnic Rohingya Human Rights Organization.
Topic: Challenging conduct and culture: why human rights matters
Professor Frank Brennan
Topic: Religion and human rights
Professor Megan Davis
Topic: The Uluru Statement from the heart and the future of reconciliation
Topic: The Destruction of the Rohingya
|Adjunct Professor George Newhouse|
Macquarie University and the Principal Solicitor of the National Justice Project
Topic: The Commonwealth’s duty to provide adequate medical care to asylum seekers in PNG and Nauru
Topic: You Can't Beat A Woman - Women's Human Rights in Malaysia
Author and human rights advocate
Topic: #Metoo (to be confirmed)
Topic: Requiem for the right to strike
CEO, Greenpeace Australia Pacific
Topic: Choking our human rights: Coal, Adani and the politics of law
How to register
You may register in one of the following ways:
- Register online (preferred registration method)
- Via phone by calling on 03 9905 3327. Phone orders must be paid for by credit card.
Please do NOT send credit card information via fax or email as it is not secure.
Conditions of registration
- If you are unable to attend the conference, a substitute is welcome
- Please let us know names of attendees so we can prepare a name badge
- A service fee of 10% will be charged for cancellations received in writing by 6 July 2018. No refunds will be paid after this date
- Full Registration Early Bird to 16 May - $280
- Full Registration from 17 May - $310
- NGO Early Bird to 16 May - $140
- NGO Registration from 17 May - $170
- Full Time Student/Concession Early Bird to 16 May - $80
- Full Time Student/Concession Registration from 17 May - $90
Deakin Edge is an accessible venue with wheelchair access and a hearing loop. For further information, visit this link.
If you have any queries about the conference please tel 03 9905 3327 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
For a copy of our sponsorship brochure, contact the Castan Centre (see above) or to discuss sponsorship options contact Marius Smith, Centre Manager on 03 9905 3386 or email email@example.com.