Sir John Monash Medal
The Sir John Monash Medal for Outstanding Achievement is awarded to a final year Arts undergraduate student eligible to graduate/course complete who has also demonstrated a significant commitment, while at Monash, to advancing the University’s goals of social justice, human rights and a sustainable environment.
Benefits and number of awards
The Sir John Monash Medal is awarded to one student per year in an Arts managed Bachelor’s degree who has completed the course requirements and has been judged:
- To have an excellent academic record, and
- To have demonstrated, while at Monash, a significant commitment to advancing one or more of the University’s goals of social justice, human rights or a sustainable environment.
The medal will be proclaimed at the student’s graduation ceremony and will also be included on official University transcripts.
The following eligibility criteria apply:
- Recipients of the Sir John Monash Medal must be in the final year of their undergraduate degree and qualify for the award of Bachelor at the end of the academic year.
- Recipients of the Sir John Monash Medal must have a minimum of an overall average grade of Credit.
- Recipients must demonstrate they have made an outstanding contribution to advancing the University’s goals of social justice, human rights and/or a sustainable environment.
- Students who have failed unit(s) within the relevant course are not eligible for this award, except under exceptional circumstances.
- Former winners of the Sir John Monash medal are not eligible to apply.
- A student will be considered for the medal only by the faculty in which they are enrolled. In the case of a student enrolled in a double or combined degree, only the managing (enrolling) faculty should consider the student for an award.
Nomination and selection process
A nomination can be made by the student, a fellow student, any Monash staff member, or any member of the community by completing the nomination form below.
The nomination must include:
- Student details including:
- Student ID
- Student Email Address
- A letter explaining the reason for the nomination
- Any supporting evidence which could be of use to the selection committee
- Permission from the student to have their records released to the selection committee.
A panel appointed by Deputy Dean, Education will review submissions and determine the most suitable candidate.
Nomination form and deadline
Deadline for nominations: 5.00pm 8th February 2022.
Submit nominations through the Monash Arts Sir John Monash Medal nomination form.