Mental Health Basics for Educators at Monash
At Monash University, we’re committed to facilitating and promoting positive mental health and wellbeing.
This module has been developed in line with the Monash Mental Health Policy, which states:
Monash University aims to facilitate and promote positive mental health and wellbeing by providing a safe, healthy and supportive environment. The university will promote positive mental health and respond to the needs of students and staff who are experiencing mental health difficulties by:
- promoting understanding and recognition of mental health issues through awareness raising and education;
- encouraging staff and students with mental health difficulties to seek assistance;
- providing guidance and training to staff and students on responding appropriately to those experiencing mental health difficulties;
Upon successful completion of this module, you will be able to:
- Recognise common signs of distress in students
- Apply appropriate strategies to respond to common signs of distress in students
- Apply appropriate strategies to respond to mental health crises in students
- Recognise the importance of effective self-care strategies after responding to situations that are beyond your control.
- Identify strategies to promote students' mental wellbeing through appropriate unit design and teaching approaches.
Task 1: Case study - identifying issues and making referrals
Task 2: Case study - self-care strategies
Task 3: Reflection on learning