Victorian Heart Hospital
At the heart of health
The Victorian Heart Hospital is Australia's first dedicated heart hospital, opening on the Monash University Clayton campus in February 2023. The VHH will become the physical home of the Monash Victorian Heart Institute enabling the co-location of research, education and patient care. It's a powerful model for collaboration, innovation and better health outcomes.
The Victorian Heart Hospital is a partnership between:
A living lab for research
Level 2 of the state of the art, purpose-built Victorian Heart Hospital, will house the VHI's dedicated research and education facilities. The co-location of the VHI’s research and teaching together with the clinical practice of the 200-bed hospital will make full advantage of the ‘living lab’ and create evidence-based solutions for patients at the hospital and beyond.
The VHI at the VHH will have:
- State-of-the-art laboratories for biomedical, engineering, biobanking, design and many other activities
- Specialised clinical trials areas
- The highest quality education spaces (dedicated simulation suites for teaching and learning, lecture theatres and collaborative learning spaces)
Clinical excellence and capacity for the future
Operated by Monash Health, the Victorian Heart Hospital's clinical services will build on the achievements of specialist cardiology service provider, Monash Heart - now the largest provider of cardiac care in Victoria.
Soon to be home to the state’s leading cardiac specialists and researchers, the VHH will provide life-saving diagnosis and treatment for thousands of patients each year. It will have the capacity to deliver up to:
- 2,150 cardiac surgery operations
- up to 13,500 cardiac laboratory procedures
- 8,500 cardiac computed tomography CT scans
- 2,800 cardiac magnetic resonance imaging MRI scans
- 28,300 cardiac emergency department presentations
- 48,000 clinic / telemedicine consultations
- 60,000 consulting room consultations
Artist's impression showing internal views of the Victorian Heart Hospital