Careers in Law
There are many career destinations for law graduates, some include:
- Work in leading national and international law firms, smaller city and suburban firms or legal practices in regional centres
- Work as a barrister
- The government sector, in areas such as the Office of Public Prosecution, the Department of Justice, the Attorney-General's Department or the Victorian Solicitor –General's Office
- Large companies as corporate in-house legal counsel
- Specialist legal firms, practising in particular areas of the law
- Legal recruitment and consultancy
- Academic or legal research
Careers outside the law
The possible career destinations for law graduates outside the legal industry are endless. Monash Law graduates have found employment in a huge range of areas, including:
- Publishing, media, film and the arts
- Marketing and communications
- Government and politics
- Business Management
- Science and engineering
- Environmental protection and development
- Project management
- Banking and finance
- International organisations, e.g the UN
- Non-governmental organisations e.g the Red Cross, Amnesty International
- Many leading law firms have international offices which may offer secondments to young lawyers with the right skills and experience.
- Many Monash Law graduates have been recruited by leading firms and companies based overseas.
Find out more about the many career options available to Law graduates, download the One Law Degree, Many Opportunities flyer (pdf, 161kb).