Healthcare Innovation Summer Scholarships (HISS)
Student Applications Now Closed
Student applications for the Healthcare Innovation Summer Scholarships (HISS) are now closed. Thank you to all who applied.
This program takes a cohort of students through a crash course in developing healthcare technology. Students will be connected with clinicians from the Monash Partners health network who seek a solution to a clinical problem. The students will receive a practical grounding in a range of advanced topics relevant to medical technology.
Time commitment will be approximately late November to mid-February, with an appropriate break during the Christmas and New Year period.
We welcome students from all faculties, not just those from the medical and technological sciences. For example, Business and Economics, Design, Arts and Law are most welcome. Students who are interested in completing a 'Final Year Project' (eg, Faculty of Engineering) are also strongly encouraged to apply.
Clinician Applications Now Closed
Clinician applications for the Healthcare Innovation Summer Scholarships (HISS) are now closed. Thank you to all who applied.
This year’s program will differ slightly from previous to better assess and move ideas towards reality. The application phase has been brought forward, well in advance of the summer program. This will enable all clinician Clinical Champion applicants to receive a report on their proposed unmet clinical need, including a brief clinical literature review, business strategy and market assessment.
In addition to providing early, well-informed advice and feedback to clinicians, bringing forward the application process, and completion of application reviews will enable:
- Selection of projects for the main summer program which have clear market potential
- Prospective summer scholarship students will be able to select projects based on their interests and expertise
- While it remains that we cannot guarantee all applicants will move to the HISS summer program, all projects which are selected for the summer program will be able to complete the entire program (rather than some projects dropping out part-way through)
- All work during the summer program will be dedicated to prototyping your idea (rather than initial scoping and review work for half the program), and
- Projects will be defined early, such that we have the opportunity to partner with our academic colleagues and their prospective 2024 final year students, to be able to create dedicated teams to work on your projects throughout 2024.
We strongly encourage you to recruit and include in your application, further clinical champions and/or members of your team to join the program, and name them in your proposal - this assists validation of the identified need, and increases capacity and capability for the students to engage with you to bring your unmet need and ideas to reality.
The HISS program was established in 2019/2020 and our various clinicians plus research project teams have helped create many new and different solutions to some of the healthcare industries biggest problems, as outlined below.
For further information on the Healthcare Innovation Summer Scholarship process contact email@example.com.