Monash Residential Services
HAZARD ALERT #11
Title: Use and storage of 3D Printers and associated chemicals and equipment
Issue date: 26 September 2017
Location: All Monash Residential Services buildings
Following the report from Monash OHS of an extreme risk rating for the use and storage of 3D printers and associated chemicals and equipment, Monash Residential Services immediately bans the storage and use of 3D printers and associated chemicals and equipment by residents. The report states that an electrical fire originated inside the internal power supply unit of a Flashforge 3D printer around midnight on 14.June 2017 in a 3D print laboratory and resulted in total loss of contents in the 3D print laboratory.
Score: Extreme Risk
Explanation:Consequence = Major to Catastrophic (Significant lost time injury/extremely serious/possible fatality)
Likelihood = Possible (Might occur)
Advice to Residents:
All residents are forbidden from using 3D printers, and any associated equipment and chemicals in MRS buildings due to a high risk of fire.
Key Learnings / Actions for Prevention:
- 3D printers are not an appropriate piece of equipment for a residential environment. Residents are advised that 3D printers pose a high risk of fire and must not be used under any circumstances.
- Solvents used for cleaning the nozzles of the extruder are also of a high risk and not appropriate for a residential environment.
- Associated chemicals used as filaments such as Acrylonitrile Butadiene Styrene (ABS), PolyEthylene Terephthalate (PETT), nylon, ThermoPlastic Elastomers (TPE), etc are not appropriate for use in a residential environment and should not be stored or used.
- Update all applicable references on MRS web page, including a specific Hazard Alert.
- Initiate communication to all MRS staff and residents as per MRS Communication Plan protocol.
- Update MRS Conditions of Residency 7.1 to be prefaced with statement: Residents are not permitted to bring any equipment that is hazardous or dangerous into any MRS Building. Hazardous and dangerous materials include (but is not limited to) flammable, combustible, burnable, or ignitable lubricants, liquids, fuels or chemicals).
- Update MRS Conditions of Residency with a new subclause 7.1 (h) 3D printers and all associated chemicals and equipment.
- Review Briggs and Jackomos Accommodation Complex Policy and agree that current clause 3.2 is applicable to enforcing this directive. 3.2 Tenants must not use or store Hazardous or Dangerous Materials in their apartment or any other part of the Accommodation Complex. In addition, include a specific additional clause 3.6: Tenants must not use or store 3D printers and associated chemicals and equipment.
More Information: Contact persons: Jason Whitaker, Tricia Thorne Safety Officers. MRS 990 56200