The Centre’s developing research agenda is broad but has a current concentration on issues relevant to the asset management industry, including retirement savings, sustainable finance and technological disruption.
How likely is the average retiree to sustain a comfortable retired life, given the current market conditions?
How can we restructure the system to improve retirement savings for retirees?
The Melbourne Mercer Global Pension Index is a benchmark of global pension systems. Since 2009, MCFS has partnered with Mercer to compile the Index annually, with the financial support of the Victorian Government.
Is it possible to exploit the “wisdom of the crowd” in formulating investment strategies? Will such strategies outperform the market?
What drives the effect of speed differentials on stock market liquidity and trading costs?
Are activist shareholders successful in improving the operating performance of the target companies both in the short term and long term?
Cohen, R. & Ruthbah, U. (2019). Pitfalls in the Retirement System and Some Thoughts about Risk, Reward and Remediation (Monash Centre for Financial Studies White Paper Series 1/19)
The CSIRO-Monash Superannuation Research Cluster is a multi-year research collaboration between Australia’s CSIRO and four universities, with support from industry and government organisations. The project ran from 2013-2017.
The project aimed to develop an evidence base, assisting policy-makers and industry to provide better outcomes and products for superannuation fund members and retirees.
- Infrastructure investment
- Member behaviour
- Fund style
- Super and the economy
- Retirement outcomes
- European perpectives
- Wealth and health
- Older workers
- Retirement income
- WP 2017-05 Later-life employment and retirement: Individual perspectives and employer mediations
- WP 2017-04 Milestone Birthday Events and Retirement Investment Behaviour
- WP 2017-03 When Public Private Partnerships (PPPs) Turn Sour: Australian Evidence
- WP2017-02 Retaining Australian older workers – a guide to good practice
- WP2017-01 Retaining Australian older workers – a literature review
- WP2016-11 Member Retirement Investment Behaviour and Performance
- WP2016-10 Approaching Retirement: The Categories, Timing and Correlates of Advice Seeking
- WP2016-09 A Modelling Framework for Analysing the Role of Superannuation in Australia’s Financial System
- WP2016-08 Superannuation and Macroeconomic Growth and Stability
- WP2016-07 Retirement savings trajectories: An analysis of the experience of fund members. Part Two: Mediators and moderators of retirement savings choices
- WP2016-06 Passive Hedge Funds
- WP2016-05 The future of health and aged care expenditure in Australia
- WP2016-04 Superannuation Drawdown Behaviour: An Analysis Of Longitudinal Data
- WP2016-03 Governance and funded pensions: European perspectives
- WP2016-02 Public policy, age discrimination and Australian older workers: solutions in search of a problem?
- WP2016-01 Retirement, Pension and Superannuation Outcomes for Indigenous Australians
- WP2015-08 Superannuation and the Allocative Efficiency of Capital Supply
- WP2015-07 Retirement Savings Trajectories: An Analysis of the Experience of Fund Members. Part One: Experience
- WP2015-06 Who Makes the Financial Decisions? Intra-Household Evidence from Panel Data
- WP2015-05 Superannuation within a Financial CGE Model of the Australian Economy
- WP2015-04 Locus of Control and Savings
- WP2015-03 A Longitudinal Analysis of Superannuation Outcomes: Gender Differences
- WP2015-02 The Viability of Alternative Indexation when Including All Costs
- WP2015-01 The Social Construction of Retirement and Evolving Policy Discourses of Working Longer
- WP2014-11 Is Infrastructure an Asset Class – an Asset Pricing Approach
- WP2014-10 Withdrawal Capacity in the face of Unexpected Health and Aged Care Expenses During Retirement
- WP2014-09 The Demand for Advice in Defined Contribution Plans
- WP2014-08 Measuring Immediate Price Impact: The Comparison Between Different Price Impact Models
- WP2014-07 A Lifestyle Perspective of Stockmarket Performance and Wellbeing
- WP2014-06 Patterns of voluntary worker retirement savings: a longtitudinal analysis
- WP2014-05 The predictability of Australian Listed Infrastructure and Public-Private Partnership Returns Using Asset Pricing Models
- WP2014-04 Factors Affecting the Birth of and Fund Flows into Commodity Trading Advisors
- WP2014-03 Do Incentive Fees Signal Skill? Evidence from the Hedge Fund Industry
- WP2014-02 Gender issues in Australian pensions: some European perspectives
- WP2014-01 Understanding superannuation contribution decisions: Theory and evidence
- WP2013-05 The Predictability of Australian Listed Infrastructure Returns using Asset Pricing Models
- WP2013-04 Retirement Adequacy through Higher Contributions: Is This the Only Way?
- WP2013-03 Is fundamental indexation able to time the market? Evidence from the Dow Jones Industrial Average
- WP2013-02 Systematic Risk Factors in the Returns of Australian PPP Bonds
- WP2013-01 A Review of Retirement Savings Investment Behaviours: Theory and Evidence