How to apply
We thank you for your interest in our graduate research program. Before being invited to apply for a PhD in the Business School, you are required to complete the Preliminary Assessment form. Please read the following instructions carefully to complete the online form.
- STEP 1 – Expression of interest
- STEP 2 – Preliminary Assessment
- STEP 3 – Invitation to apply
- STEP 4 – Accept your offer
a. PhD admission requirements
- A bachelor’s degree requiring at least four years of full time study in a relevant field, and which normally includes a research component in the fourth year, leading to an Honours 1 or 2A in a relevant field;
- A course leading to a level rated by the relevant department, faculty and committee as equivalent to an Honours 1 or 2A in a relevant field;
- A master’s degree that entails work, normally including a significant research component, including at least 25% of one full time equivalent year of work, including a thesis. It is normally expected that a grade of Honours 2A has been obtained for the research thesis or project. Where ungraded, examiners’ reports will be taken into account; or
- Have qualifications which in the opinion of the Graduate Research Committee are deemed equivalent.
b. English language requirements
- IELTS Academic English Only 7.0 overall (no band less than 6.5)
- TOEFL (paper based) 587+TWE 4.5
- TOEFL (internet based) 94+, Reading 19, Listening 20, Speaking 20 and Writing 24
- Pearson Test of Academic English 65+
- Cambridge English 185+ Writing 185 and no skill below 169
c. Prior Research Experience – Qualifying degree
- The qualifying degree is the degree that has been assessed as meeting the admission requirements for the Monash Business School PhD program. The qualifying degree will include a significant research component in a relevant field.
- The successful completion of a significant research component including a thesis/research report/research project and research methodology unit/s.
- The thesis/research report/research project must have achieved the minimum grade required for admission (distinction, H2A) and/or scholarship (high distinction/H1).
- Academic publications may enhance an application but will not be assessed as meeting prior research experience in place of a graded thesis/research report/research project.
- Have you completed an Honours degree achieving First Class or Upper Second Class results in a relevant field?
- Have you completed a qualifying degree with a significant research component achieving distinction or high distinction results in a relevant field?
- Do you meet the English language requirements?
If you have answered yes to two of the above questions please proceed to Step 2.
If you meet the conditions of the preliminary assessment process and the relevant discipline has the necessary facilities, resources and supervision for your project, you will be invited to apply for a Monash Business School PhD. – this can take up to four weeks. The invitation will direct you to the online application system where you can commence a formal application.
|Scholarship and/or admissions application rounds||Applicant type||Lodge Expression of Interest (EOI) to receive an invitation to apply||Formal applications open||Formal applications close||Enrolment period|
|1||International||1 Sept 2018 – 28 Feb 2019||1-Sep-18||31-Mar-19||Jul – Dec 2019|
|2||Domestic||1 Nov 2018 – 30 Apr 2019||1-Nov-18||31-Mar-19||July – Dec 2019|
|3||International||1 Apr 2019 – 31 Jul 2020||1-Apr-19||31-Aug-20||Jan – Jun 2020|
|4||Domestic||1 Jun 2019 – 30 Sep 2020||1-Jun-19||31-Oct-20||Jan – Jun 2020|
- EOI outcome notification: 4 weeks maximum, once all documents received
- Application for entry/scholarship outcome notification
- Scholarship only: 6 weeks from when round has closed
- Offer for admission: 6 weeks from formal application closure date
- Scholarships and admission: 6 weeks – please note the scholarship offer may precede the formal admission offer
If your application for entry into the Monash Business School graduate research program is accepted, you will receive a formal offer letter. You may also separately receive information about any scholarship applications that you may have made.
The final step is easy - simply follow the instructions provided to accept your offer, and look forward to joining our dynamic research community.